11 day old ram lamb struggling, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Avodah, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Avodah

Avodah Well-Known Member

We have twin ram lambs that were born 11 days ago. One is smaller and hunched over and not as active. The ewe has a smaller udder and a smaller build so I’m thinking that the small one isn’t getting enough nutrition. So I’m assuming we need to intervene and bottle feed?
    1. If so, how often does one do that? Could we get by feeding him one or two bottles a day? Anymore and I think we may sell him.
    2. If we do need to feed him, can we give him raw cows milk? We only have a few more ewes left to lamb and I’m hoping we won’t have any other bottle lambs, so I would hate to buy a big bag of milk replacer. Unless it will keep multiple years.

Thanks guys!

2. DisasterCupcake

DisasterCupcake Crazy Goat Lady

I've raised bottle lambs on raw cows milk, and raw goats milk. I would use store bought vit D milk before I bought replacer.
    You can supplement the runty one with a bottle or 2 a day and keep him with the ewe. Better start now if you want him to learn the bottle tho!

Ronney likes this.

3. Bird Dog

Bird Dog Member

I'm a newby on here and not an expert by my means. That said, i did find a milk replacer mix on here that has worked for me. I got it from a recent post by olivia67. Currently on page 1 under sheep. Lamb replacer and it Really works or something like that. Your other symptoms mentioned would have me digging deaper. And that is for these other good folks.

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Yes, intervene NOW! And cow, goat or sheep milk is good. Leave the lamb with the ewe and it's twin but put them in a situation where you can catch the runt easily and in less than a week, the runt will be coming to you for a feed and mum and twin will follow.

Be very careful not to overfeed. Start off small - a couple of ounces of barely warm milk (if you put your pinky finger into it and can't feel the temperature, that's about right), and when you've got it sucking increase slowly. Don't force the issue if it doesn't want to finish the bottle. With lambs in this situation, I start off feeding 3 oz four x times a day. I let them dictate the terms and mostly I end up feeding 8 oz twice a day. They are rarely the best lambs in my mob but they survive and are still worth something.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. Avodah

Avodah Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I grabbed him when they were all in the barn and then let them all out and just fed him outside with everyone. I think he got 1 to 1/2 oz. I’ll keep trying and increasing. Thank you!

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member