Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 33 years old and I have no memory of it ever, EVER being this cold in NE Ohio. Never! This is supposed to be our last day of the extreme cold. Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 20 and the low 18.

I'm not letting the chickens out today. The ducks hate to stay inside, but they're gonna. My goats should be okay as I do a deep bedding method in my barn and most days they're water hasn't even been freezing.

Good grief :eek: 30 below...

:coffee: RedTartan

·
Enter farm name here
1,645 Posts
It was -26 below this morning, windchill was probably around -40.

And our power went out for 2 hours during the night.... for the second time this week.

I'm ready for some above-zero weather!

·
North of the Hi-Line
1,096 Posts
As long as you keep the critters out of the draft, have open water available, and some bedding, they won't think much of it. Keep warm yourself!

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I have air temp at -38 when I went out at 7:30, to feed my mini donkey and calf and to see how my dog was doing. Everyone is doing just great I have a 24/7 run in sheds, with 17 gallon water buckets that have built in heaters those are GREAT~!!!!!!!! No Ice at all in them and one is even sitting directly outside~! No protection at all and still did not have one bit of ice even on the edges of the water.
Wind Chill at around 45 below~!

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
some years back there was a fellow coming to stay with friends of mine to go to university here from Nigeria. i was in the shop when i saw my buddy heading down to the shop with joey on the coldest day that winter (and many before and since!) joe was dressed in a very warm outfit but was looking very cold as he shivered towards the shop! being a joker, i took off my insulated coveralls, 2 hoodies right down to the t shirt and sweat pants, then went out to greet him! he looks at me standing there like its 108 in the shade with a puzzled look on his face! after 10 minutes or so it felt, he asks me if i am not cold! cold? i said, heck buddy you better get ready for cold, this is a mild day! really???? he said with a look of terror on his face. nope, i said this is colder than i ever felt! our buddy bout bent over laughing when he finally figured out why i was not dressed for the weather! joe got his own back that summer when it was very hot and humid, me in the air conditioned tractor and him in the sweltering heat, asked him to set awhile and cool down in the tractor cause it was so hot. looks at me and says"this is a cool day in Nigeria!) (he did hop up in the tractor for a spell, after we stopped laughing!)

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
It's cold, but I've seen worse, back in the mid-nineties. I was driving to work and the radio said the wind-chill was -60C (no idea what that is in F). As I was approaching the Burlington Skyway, which is a very high, long bridge, I saw a tractor-trailer sliding backwards down it towards me! :eek: At which point, I decided that it would be far safer to drive over the old liftbridge. :rolleyes: That's the bridge where empty tractor trailers blow over in high winds.

When it's that cold, salt on the road does nothing but melt the ice long enough to form a thin skin of ice - perfect for skating, not so great for driving!

That was the morning that I called one of my suppliers in, I think it was North Carolina. He came to the phone all out of breath, saying his glasses were fogged up and it must be 30 degrees there! I told him what our temperature was, and there was a dead silence at the other end. :bouncy:

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Even I remember the 1994 freeze. My husband was in Minnesota on business and was miserable. He's a southern boy and glad of it. His then-boss apologized for sending him that week. It was 10 degrees here, in SC, that week. Our heat went out while DH was away. Yep, I remember that one.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
This is honestly the coldest I've ever been... -19 is a record for me!!

I'm sure glad wee have our deep snow cover because I for sure would not be getting any cranberries next year if the flower buds were exposed to this cold

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I checked out the record low temps from the site Cabin Feavor gave us and in 1930 Ok had -20's as temp. I hope I never see that.:help:

I remember the early 90's (IICC) it was -2 for a few days. I think several people olmost drowned trying to skate on ponds that were not really frozen.
:(

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey there, I heard on the news its the coldest whether we've had in over 12 years. My dad assures me that its been -20+ in the past... he used to drive a diesel van home from work and they'd have to come out with blowers some days to get it going cause' the diesel had gooped up!!! But yes, definetly the coldest its been around here in a LONG time! Our pipes between the kitchen and bathroom were actually frozen!! Pretty unusual, especially with people home and both fires burning HOT all night long!!!

ETA: Must have been in 1994 which would have made me 10... sounds about right. I vaguely remember loading our porch up with wood and burning through 1-2 cords of wood in a WEEK!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just make sure the animals have at least 1 hour of unfrozen water a day and they will be fine. It would probably be a good idea for it to be on the cold side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts