100w a day chestfreezer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by henk, Aug 5, 2005.

1. henk

henk Well-Known Member

2. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

I love the way that man thinks!

Looks like a winning idea to me. You might even be able to convert it into a side by side with a small freezer compartment that would keep the fridge side cool.

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I've read other articles going back into the 70's of people that have done basicly the same thing. So this is not really anything new. Even read of a few that were custom built. They just never caught on because of the inconvience of a chest refrigerator.

Remember one that was a custom job that was only a foot deep inside. Reasoning was that you really never put anything in thats over a foot tall so that's deep enough. It was also built with isulation ratings of around r40in the bottom and sides. Lid was less like r20. It used like 25 watts a day if you didn't open it. Used an additional 5 watts for every time you opened it for 15 seconds. They also had a custom freezer done with similar results.

4. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

My initial reaction was that it'd be pretty inconvienent, but the more I think about it I don't think it'd be so bad. Our fridge is usually full enough that you have to crouch down anyway to find what you want, leaning into a chest fridge wouldn't be much worse.

5. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

I don't understand this one. If the freezer is working properly, shouldn't it not be running if the temp is below a certain setting?

6. wy_white_wolf

When the electricity kicks off the coils are colder than the temp of the freezer (sensor not placed next to coils). The Freezer continues to cool as the coils absorb more heat until they equalize temperature with the freezer. There-by dropping the temp below the setting.

7. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

But once they equalize then the freezer should stop and not restart until the temp sensor goes above the desired temp + some delta factor right?

8. wy_white_wolf

Yes. By the settings he talks about it restarts at a little over 7 Deg C

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Somebody referred me back to this thread. Read the article including the pdf version. Quite interesting, but he doesnt mention any real detail of the thermostat. Is this a digital furnace thermostat, or if not, what was it designed for and where do you find one? Latching mechanism? How did he make it switch current off and on to the freezer? Some sort of relay? No experience with digital thermostats and even have to think back a bunch to vaguely remember the old mercury switch thermostats on furnaces. Been heating with wood the last 25 years.

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

HJohn,my same concerns.Wish one of the gurus here would build one with USA parts and stick a kill o watt meter on the before and after.That would really be nice to see.

booboo

11. HermitJohn

Ok, little looking about and found this interesting discussion on same topic: http://www.wind-sun.com/smf/index.php?topic=1073.new

They are kinda figuring maybe twice energy use of what the Aussie is claiming but thats still very good. They also give couple links to auxillary thermostats to do just what the Aussie did with whatever mystery digital thermostat he used. Apparently people use these to convert refrigerators AND chest freezers into wine and beer storage. Who knew? And low tech so I can understand. No soldering required.

http://ceisites.com/9025.html

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16663

Oh, and one of guys posting said he is going to try it, has a new chest freezer on the way. Going to use it as a freezer if this experiment doesnt work out. I've got the site bookmarked and hope he posts back.

12. HermitJohn

Maybe we are all a bit late to the chest refrigerator party. Look at the Crosley freezer with optional external thermostat to convert it to a chest refrigerator. Also the DC Sundanzer chest refrigerator.

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/Catalogpages2/refriger2.htm

Alas they dont give energy consumption figures for the Crosley used as a refrigerator.

13. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Looks like he is using a 220 Volt kill a watt meter where can I find one. Actually I could use a half a dozen of them.

mikell

14. mightybooboo

15. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I went today and bought a 7 cubic ft freezer------have it hooked up to a thermostat and plugged into a watt meter. Will give results in a couple of days. Randy

16. HermitJohn

COOL, or at least I hope so.

17. mightybooboo

Awesome Randy.

18. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is my thoughts and my test. I bought a 7 cubic feet GE freezer from Wal*marts(sure there are more energy eff. ones out there). It was rated at app. 275kwh per year, thats about 775 watts per day. Using it as a refrigerator----Straight out the box it is drawing slightly less than 10 watts per hour, at that rate it will use 235 watts per day. Thats keeping it between 35 to 45 degree's, also it is empty. If I had alot of things in it, I feel it would take less watts per day to operate once what ever is in it got to the desired temp, but then again------if I was opening it several times aday---Hmmmmmm not sure. I think I will load it down with already cooled things from my other fridge tonight and see how it does. Its interesting!! More Later. Randy

19. mightybooboo

Randy,whats a comparable sized regular refer using a day,do you know that?
    Enjoying this thread a lot!

booBoo

20. greg273

greg273 Well-Known Member

Yes, do go on...this is facinating. Right now puzzled over how I'm going to have refrigeration without spending $1200 on a new propane fridge. I've got an old smaller electric fridge.... maybe If I SUPERINSULATE it and freeze a bunch of blocks of ice (from grid-power...) and stick them in there I can get my electric use WAY down. Gonna have to be WAY down in order to make this work with limited solar/battery power....

greg

(or maybe I can put the frigde outside on the back porch! No sunlight gets back there! That'd be nice and cold this winter). Sure beats having to spend over a thousand $$!)