100 Things You Can Do to Get Ready for Peak Oil:

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hillsidedigger, Dec 21, 2006.

1. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/energyresources/message/97351

Not just Peak Oil but also Peak Soil/Peak Water and peak resources and opportunities in general combined with way to many people in the world, the prospects of unfavorable climate change as well, are conditions that some recognize but others deny.

Still, learning to do more with less is not a bad idea.

2. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

A lot of good ideas and suggestions on here for any reason.

Thanks for the post!

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I first saw this on the energy bulletin site a few days ago, where it is attributed to the author: http://www.energybulletin.net/23645.html

I wish people (Such as the person who posted it to the Yahoo site) would give credit to the originator of pieces like this.

Still, it is interesting, and thanks to 'hillsidedigger' for bringing it to the attention of this group.

4. de Molay

de Molay Well-Known Member

Before Peak Oilers there were Homesteaders....It's bred in the bone....Peak oil is just one of many mountains that a homesteader must climb...

5. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

The author is Sharon in NY, who posts here often! One of my HT heroes!!!ldc

6. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I didn't get a chance to read through the whole post but there are some ideas in there that I never thought about...thanks for posting! I made a copy to read later...

7. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

My only question for those that are "doom" sayers is. Did you know that their is enough room in just the state of texas to house all the people in the whole united states. Thats a little under 2 people per acre (enough room for a good garden no?). Texas has approx. 172 million acres. 10 percent of the us land mass for just garbage dumps or 380 million acres. Now the rest of the country could be devoted to ag. persuits or 3.4 billion acres. Thats about 11.5 acres per person.

8. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

stanb999,
    Please don't ruin this thread with logical, level headed, factual thinking.

As far as being ready for "peak oil"?
    I'm ready, got me a new SUV riding on 20" dubs, yo. :)

9. hillsidedigger

Check your numbers Stanb666

you are quoting misinformation.

10. stanb999

Really,
    their are 300,000,000 people right.
    texas has an area of 268,601 sq.mi or 171,904,604 acres.
    thats 171,904,604 / 300,000,000 or .57 acres per person.
    The math is really simple no?

Now the land mass of the USA is 5,984,685 miles² minus texas. So the remainder is 5,716,084 miles².

So lets devote 10% of the remainder to land fill or 571,608 miles² or 365,829,120 acres. Thats an area larger than that of the UK.

The remainder 5,144,475.6 miles² or 3,292,464,384 acres can be devoted to ag. persuites. which is 10.97 acres.

You are right I was off by .5 acres in the ag. pursuits.

Now lets not get into name calling.:)

11. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

The sky is falling the sky is falling. ouch uff da namen :rolleyes:

12. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

Sharon's article is not "doom-saying" in my opinion. She wants to be safe not sorry for future generations. Many things on her list are common practice or under consideration for legislation in other countries. ldc

13. hillsidedigger

stanb999, I didn't have time to fully reply when I saw what you wrote earlier, please excuse the 666. You wrote "Now the land mass of the USA is 5,984,685 miles²" and that is not correct.

Wayne02 calls for 'logical, level headed, factual thinking'.

I think the land area of the United States is actually about 3,537,000 square miles or 2.264 billion acres, so only a little over 7 acres per American of which fully 2/3rds. is not readily habitable with the larger share of Texas not being habitable at great densities either.

7 acres (which includes many areas that are largely flood plain, steep mountain slope, tundra, dry scrubland, and other such areas of usable only at low density land) per person may sound like a lot to you, but I think its pitifully poor and inadequate and will only be getting worse with increasing numbers of Americans. The average American consumes resources each year that require 10 acres or more of the world's lands to produce, not to mention that I would prefer the basis of life, that is bioiversity, be kept more or less stable and that actually would require most of the world's lands to be left as they are.

Such consumption will not last.

A big dieoff is coming even if only the most wise choices were made by everyone from this point forward.

This big dieoff will largely be the result of the unfettered optimism of the blind who have been since the beginning of civilization and still are stumbling forward.

14. Melissa

Melissa member

Here is a link to Sharon's website. There will be more info added later as she has time to do so.

http://www.ourvictoryathome.com/200things.html

There is a link that will take you to the main page with more information and articles.

15. hillsidedigger

Wow, I just looked at Sharon's website.

I often say when I have an audience that the nearly certain (as if pre-ordained in human consciousness) unfolding eco-catastrophe that the world is bringing upon itself will be nearly as bad as an all out, but only remotely likely, nuclear war.

Most who hear me say this either do not understand what I am saying, absolutely do not believe me or think there is something very wrong with the way I think.

Time will tell and I suppose there yet remains various 'alternative futures'.

16. Melissa

Melissa member

17. stanb999

So once again excluding the land area of texas. Which will have room for everyone in the whole country living on .57 acres. the remaining area of 2,096,410,521 acres isn't enough? about 7 acres per person. So a family of four can't live on the produce of 28 acres? You could raise a two acre garden, one acre for poltry feed and housing, two acres for a pig, 4 acres for a half of a cow (Really not possible to raise half a cow. But a cow produces way more than a family of four could use.), 12 for firewood and lumber, one acre for fruit , one acre for grain, Plus one just for sitting :) . That leaves 4 to be left to the wilds. Their was also left over room in texas as a family of four would have 2.2 acres for the house/driveway, roads, ect....

18. hillsidedigger

Exactly, stanb999, its not enough for 300 million and growing.

Your 28 acres per 4 people should be cut to about 9 acres for those four because of the full 2/3rds. of America's land area which is unsuitable for the farsteading purposes you listed.

19. stanb999

I really think you miss the point. Not that everyone has to produce all of that stuff. Most won't produce anything. Their is in my calculation room for a full 1/6 th devoted to nothing. Also we produce things where they do best. Like corn in iowa. They get over 200 bushels per acre with 250 not that rare. My corn production would be very low. But here I can produce livestock and timber very well. So this is what I do.

As for unuseable the whole land mass has value. The marshes/lowlands can be used for fowl and fish stock. The deserts can be used for solar and rock products. The mountains are used for timber. You have a very strange view of the world. The government now controls a full 28% of the land mass. In addition they pay farmers not to grow corn, wheat, potatoes, ect. I don't know where you get the Idea that we are running out of food. Tomorrow their will be a post on how fat we are all getting. :rolleyes:

20. hillsidedigger

I feel the calculation should be not 1/6th. left unused in any generation but rather at least 5/6ths. be left as it is for future generations.

By the way, the 250 bushels of corn per acre has in Iowa has only occurred a few times, is not the norm and cannot be sustained for more than a few seasons (without unlimited supplies of fossil fuels, even then would not be sustained).

Still, being in a situation where the optimum long term sustainable number of people both in America and in the world has been overshot many times overalready

what can we do but try to all survive burning up the very thing that sustains all life until the natural and market forces cull our numbers.