10 baby pigs.... now what?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by caroline00, Sep 5, 2006.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we had 11 babies born early this morning...one did not survive... another one got stepped on and the skin on his back is torn... I was just going to leave that for now...

but what are we supposed to do for baby pigs? Thanks!

2. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

I've just sprayed an iodine solution when the babies get torn up. I don't remember what it's called, think I got it at the feed mill or TSC. In both cases the tear was bad enough that I didn't think the baby would survive, but both did. Pretty resilient animals. Do you have 'bumpers' around the sides pen to prevent the mother from laying on the babies?

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I think it mostly depends on your style of raising hogs. The only thing I do is make sure the pigs have lots of hay to burrow into, especially with it starting to get cold at night. Depending on your setup you may even want to have a heat lamp for them. The sow will need extra feed since she is lactating now. Some people give iron shots to newborn piglets. Especially if the sow was not on dirt. The easiest time to cut wolf teeth, dock tails and castrate is when they are newborn. We don't ever cut wolf teeth or dock tails and we hold off on castrating. Still on the fence as to when the best time to castrate is. Of course then there are also people that don't castrate either. I personally prefer to. Haven't had a piglet get tore up yet. So can't help much there.

Heather

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

you can spray with iodine. We had a piglet get caught under a creep feeder and tear the skin up. Took a LONG time to heal. But it finally did. Like Heather said, you need make personal choices and that will direct you in what to do next. We crate farrow, we also give 1cc of iron to each pig. We sell them as show pigs, so we dock tails, notch and clip teeth. My husband castrates at about 3 weeks old if we can. A good rule of thumb for mom's feed is 4# for mom and 1# for each additional piglet nursing. So she would get 14# per day of feed. Make sure she has plenty of vitamins and minerals in her feed. Has she had a bowel movement? If not, feed her a can of pumpkin. That will get things moving again. Each sow automatically gets a can of pumpkin the day after they farrow at our house. If they get constipated, they won't milk, then the get mastitis, the piglets waste away, and I hate more than anything giving sows shots. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure for sure!!

5. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Thanks! for some reason, she chose to have them outside... they have plenty of hay out there... we have lost 3 but had more than 10 born... 2 were born hours later... maybe half a day later. They didnt make it.

Is it usual for the piglets in a *litter* to vary a lot in size and conformation? The ones who have made it seem really healthy... but they are smaller than our friends piglets who are 3 days old and only had 7 in the *litter*

WE have had a lot of pears and apples that went soft enough to give to the pig so she has had plenty of fruit.

6. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips, we have a pot belly due in 2 weeks, do you think 1 cc iron would be too much for them? I don't know how big they will be compared to regular piglets..
    also do the iron shots have to come from a vet or can you buy it online somewhere?

The pumpkin tip is great!
    maddy

7. JennNY

JennNY Mom to 6 great kids!

Congrats on the litter.. our sow had 7, 6 weeks ago.

One tip.. if you are going to castrate, do it while they are still little. We waited a little too long and it took forever to catch them! :) Also, put them in an area where Mama can't get to. Our sow was NOT very happy with us when we took her sons to get castrated. I think she is still mad at us. LOL

Jenn

8. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Throw some sod in the pen and in the creep area every couple days. That should give them enough iron.

9. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

We live in the high desert/high plains. While there is some bunch grass, sod is an "unknown" here. With the decade long drought there is far more plain dirt than bunch grass.