Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out most of the day, since around noon till 4 working on a Case Steel Wheel hay rake. The reel wouldn't turn. I figured it was something in the front gear box, and so dropped the outer casing surrounding the gears. Looked and looked. Greased everything up front. Had the wheel jacked up and was putting in and out of gear. Nothing. I couldn't even stand on one reel and pull on another and turn it. Finally I went to the back end and took it apart at the center shaft. Had to burn the wrapped around stems of haygrazer several times before I got it all cleared out around the bearing. Took the so called bearing apart, cut and cleaned out the old grease, put in a new zerk, put it together, put the case back on the front, and she turns like a top now. Alla that out in the sun. I wouldn't have done that if it had been 10/12 degrees hotter. I started to have the shakes, and went in and took my hbp pills and others, and took a short break to drink up, and went back at it till finished.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
We use a New Holland rake that is similar to the Case, but it has rubber tires and is on a three point hitch. Cleans up a field nicely, a lot better than a star wheeled rake we use as a backup. Wouldn't mind having a V Rake to save time, but it would not clean the field as well as the roller bar rake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts