10,000 flies!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mrglock27, Jul 9, 2005.

1. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

I left my big garage door open all day and when I went in after dark I swear there was freakin' 10,000 flies in there I'm not kidding. Every square inch of the ceiling and walls were covered. I took a shop broom and kept sweeping them off the ceiling out the door for about an hour. Then I put up 3 of those sticky fly strips and they were completely filled in about 10 minutes. I'm from western WA and just moved out to the country, Yelm,WA. Has anyone seen this many flies before? The bees are insane out here too. I have about 30 paper wasp nests under the eves of my house 2 bald face hornet nests and quite a few yellow jackets. I managed to kill around 75 yellow jacket queens early this spring though with traps and a fly swattrer so they are not as bad as last year.

2. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

That's a lot of flies! We have to hang fly strips in the garage too when we have the door open a lot. We try to spray and then smash any wasps nests we find in the buildings as soon as we find them. They seem to like the shed where we keep the lawn mower.

3. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Let you in on an old redneck trick. Take clear one gallon zip lock bags and fill with water and hang by open doors or windows. I even hang one by my bbq grill. Flies wont come near it.At festivals etc around here you see them hangin by food booths. Works for me.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Our first year here, while building our house, the flies were unbelievable. We have livestock now and don't have nearly the flies. I know that the chickens help to keep the flie population down. Last year and the year before we had hornets. Under the deck, the door of my car, and a huge nest in the shell of a car that burned in our driveway.

I have week old Muscovy ducklings, which are this year's answer to the fly problem. :clap:

5. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Something may have died in the garage maybe? It's unusual -- don't worry, they'll go away.

Actually, your thread title reminds me of the signboard at Chuck's Chilli Bowl over on the coast going up to Copalis:

"!0,000 flies cain't be wrong." :sing:

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

There once was a country saying that if you killed a fly in May, you would keep 1000 away.
    Do you remember them 10 flys you missed with the swater in May? That's where they came from!