Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a 1-ton chain hoist for my shop to use with the riding mower maintenance. The shop has engineered trusses on solid 4 x 6 posts, with ample blocking bolted on which the trusses sit on. My question is should I re-enforce the 2 X 6 beam the hoist will be attached to? Riding mower wieghts 568 lbs. Can't think of anything heavier that that I would try to hoist.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,635 Posts
I think I would double the joist just to be on the safe side. Bolt on an extra 2 X 6 with plywood between them and it will be MUCH safer

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
If you were to ask the supplier of the building or the trusses you would get a remark such as "the trusses were designed to hold the roof". We know that the roof will support a snow load or the weight of several workman. However the workmen nor the snow would be concentrated to one small spot on the truss. You need to slide a section of pipe through multiple trusses and attach the hoist to the pipe to spread the weight. If you will limit the load to the lawnmower or a car engine all should be OK.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I did a layer of plywood cut to 6 inches, then another 2 *6 and glued and nailed it all together just reinforcing the joist. Worked well. The plywood really adds strength.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Wish I had a Pic of what you need, but I don't. Sooo....

We made a swingset frame-like carriage out of salvage tubing, mounted it on heavy casters at each leg. I'd say the top cross member is about 7 feet high. Then we purchased a Harbor Freight $89 (on sale) electric cable hoist, and mounted it to the cross member. Really slick. Lifts the front end of Cub Cadets (heavy) right up with one click of the switch, and I can move it around the shop.

Cat's whiskers!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim S that sounds pretty slick and I have a retired ironworker/welder close by looking for things to do. I am going to talk to him about this.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. These trusses are on 8 foot centers, so I am leaning towards not hanging the hoist from them. There is a roofed porch on the back of the shop that has whole cedar logs as posts. The span between two is about 10 feet. There are two 2x6's, one on each side that hold the joists for the tin roof of the porch. I am going to fill the void between the two with 2'6's and plywood and put the hoist up there. If Jim S's solution doesn't seem feasible (parts or money)

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
When I built my garage, I reinforced some of the ceiling joists so that I could hang a hoist at one point, safely. I did some structural calculations and decided to use 4-2x10s side by side. This is in a 16 foot wide garage, so the actual spa is about 15 feet. Technically, hanging extra weight on the bottom of a truss that isn't designed for it can affect the rest of the structure of the truss. Probably not a problem in a garage truss, but earlier in my life in a different career, I saw commercial buildings with carefully designed trusses undergo catastrophic failures when extra loads were put other than where the design specified.

In your situation, depending on the span, I would use a couple of 2x12s if possible, with maybe some plyweed sandwiched between them. But it depends ENTIRELY on the span!!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Rickstir, I built mine out of discarded metal poles I moved for a guy. If you can come up on an old swingset, you are ahead of the game. All you need do then is weld all the joints and brace the crossbar diagonally at the uprights. You may have to cut down the crossbar if it is particularly long.

All I had in mine was the cost of the electric hoist and casters from H-F. About $110, if I recall. WORTH EVERY DIME. It is so neat to be able to just hook to the front of a rider, lift it up, and pull the blades to sharpen them. Time saver. It is also neat when you move heavy stuff. I had a rear end I moved by picking it up and then just rolling the frame where I needed it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
We have a little outbuilding about 11 feet at the ridge. I set a treated 4X4 on it and the other end was supported by a couple of crossed 2X4s with two lag screws at the junction. Then we hung a cheap Harbor Freight 12V winch from it and have used it to lift up to an 850 pound hog for butchering. The normal sized hogs don't even make it creak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts