1 More Solar Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tango, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

To run one light for say an hour in the evening, a small microwave a couple of minutes per day, a 4 cup coffee pot once in the morning what can I get by with for the summer months?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

actually, come to think of it, I just purchased a deep cycle marine battery for it so what else do I need? Thanks :)

3. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

On 1 120 and 1 80 watt panel I can run lights tv video game all evening long, I did replace all lights with compact flourescents(?) and thats a 13 in tv. Backwoods solar should have a calculater on their site to give you an idea -- but the coffee maker will burn wayyyy too much power!!!! Any thing that heats with electric burns power like its going out of style at my place. We make coffee on the stove nowadays -- hope this helps!
    If your close to ca I know a place out there sells used panels with warranty if you want it -- pretty cheap compared to new.

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I would like that site please.

BooBoo

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

thanks Patarini. I'm not close to California - I'll be in Tennessee but maybe with shipping it will still be worthwhile?

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Marcia, anything that heats pulls way too much power to run on solar unless you are talking a pretty beefed up system. The microwave and coffee maker will also need an inverter. I always just used a tea kettle on the propane camp stove and a pour thru type of coffee pot. I used one that you put a filter in a cone over the pot, but the french press also does really well with the boiling water. Makes better coffee than an electric coffee maker too. Nearly anything that a microwave does can be done as well in a more conventional way.

A single 120 watt panel should run a compact flourescent for an hour or two
    in the evening and should also run a dc fan to make the nights more comfortable to sleep in that camp trailer. Depending on weather and all that may be enough to run a 12 v pressure pump.

If your funds are low, you don't want to spend lots on an inverter if you don't have too. So go with 12vdc instead.

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

You really need to educate yourself as to your needs. Reading the amps or wattage of your appliances is necessary to determine how much energy you need.

You can also use a Killowatt or Kill A Watt meter to do the same figuring, probably more accurately. An appliance is plugged into the meter and the meter will record how many kilowates are used for the time period you choose, which means you could check the draw for a day, week, month, or ????

Unfortunately without us knowing the given draw for your appliances we can't give you any usable answer. As an example your 4 cup coffee pot may be used to make the coffee which then goes into an insulated mug so that it is immediately turned off once brewing is finished, or it may be left on for an hour until you finish the last cup.

Any electrical device that "heats" draws considerable wattage.

I'm not trying to upset you or evade the question, but a good starting point is to get a solar catalog from nearly any company and read the information in it. There is also a book which may be "Solar for Dummies" which you may wish to get through your local library to read through.

Glad to see you thinking green.

8. mightybooboo

9. mightybooboo

BooBoo

10. mightybooboo

Smaller system,ballpark figures

4-120 watt Kyocera panels-2000.00
    1-small 1200 watt inverter,mod sine wave,80 dollars
    1- 20 amp controller-215.00
    6- trojan t-105 batteries-480.00
    Baterry cables and panel wires,150.00?
    1-roof mount-150 or so,but they can be put on with just pieces of L brackets for next to nothing

So this is about 3000.00 dollars.Friend has this on a 30 foot Motorhome,runs his lights and satellite internet and computer all day,and lights at night.

He uses his generator about twice a week.

Again you will need a genny and a good charger for this system

BooBoo

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Booboo, thank you. That is a whole house system? I appreciate that. I need these kicks to get going. It might be better to just get everything set up in one bang rather than set up the travel trailer for solar while I build the house and then set up the house for solar when done. The builder I'm looking at now will incorporate the solar panels into the roof.

Windy, I understand that. I might need something more basic than Solar for Dummies, maybe Solar for the Mentally Incapable of Understandiing Solar :) I don't know what the amp / hours usage will be. I'd rather recieve what I can do with a system and modify my usage. I may be, in certain ways learning challenged and I mean that seriously. I've had a very difficult time applying the knowledge to an imaginary application. I need to do it the other way around. I do get the part about heating elements and there won't be any of those. Actually as I was typing this someone from Sirerra Soalr called me and gave me a system for my travel trailer - about $1300. Sounds good and I can put it into the shed after my house is built. :)

12. patarini

I am in tn too, what they quoted for shipping was thru the roof -- I was hoping to get a run out there to buy them! I have bought my panels so far from mr solar -- not too bad.
    http://www.solarelectricalsystems.com/html/forsale.htm
    Thats the link to the used panels -- have 55 watt and 80 as well
    Where in tn? If your close your welcome to come over an check out my system anytime I am in! I am in west central tn, just west of nashville
    so far i have in my system
    c-60 controller 170
    1 used batt free
    1 top of line batt 320
    1 90 watt panel 365
    1 120 watt about 515?
    inverter had(paid 100 2000 watt cobra)
    had generator -- havent used it since winter
    so have about 1500 in it so far?

13. mightybooboo

Patarini,what is the price for those used panels?I couldnt find it at the site.

I like em,monocrystallines are my favorites right now for Motorhome use.

Tango,yes,that would be a good sized system for the small house,or a smaller sized system that also would be a good house starter for your small house.

Oh wait,Im confusing you with sancraft i think,what size house are you building?

BooBoo

14. mightybooboo

Say Patarini,are you a single guy and trucker who is on the road?If so i can see how you get a nice charge in your system.Same with MH,we are always charged fully because we arent always in it.

BooBoo

15. mightybooboo

we will use the motorhome solar setup when we build and after we are done just plug the motorhome solar into the houses system.

BooBoo

16. patarini

Price was 2.25 or 2.50 per watt -- I am single and on the road, but my brother lives in the house with his 13 yr old son -- and that teen loves video games! I need to get the digital display so I know how charged we are -- right now I go off of blinks on the controller! LOL

17. mightybooboo

WOW,2.50 a watt???Thats almost half priced!

BooBoo

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Lol Booboo, maybe you're confusing us :) Is sancraft thinking of solar power? I need a much larger system for my house than the one for my travel trailer- the house will have a clothes washer, on eof those spinner dryers, and ceiling fans. But thanks very much for the smaller package system you posted. I have to make some decisions. The one quoted by Sierra Solar was considerably more expensive comparatively.

19. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

20. mightybooboo