Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the mixed wether that i have if hay isn't the best and not much leaves etc.in the winter can i give him small amount of alfalfa pellets and beet pulp? thanks again for answers. sue

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,706 Posts
Sure. The only thing really bad for males is too much grain

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
Our vet has suggested supplementing with small amounts of grain if our hay is mediocre. Our wethers get half a cup each per day. She did suggest that we change from regular Purina goat chow to Purina show chow instead to minimize issues with urinary blockage.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
last year, there was no hay here because of the drought. I fed HUGE amounts of alafalfa pellets and beet pulp instead and they did great. Alflafa pellets are simply dehydrated hay in pellet form and the backbone of my feeding program anyway. Shredded beet pulp is a good filler and good roughage, it also has some calcium in it. I would not recommend upping their grain though in place of hay.

I would mix 1 part beet pulp to 2 parts alfalfa pellets (after slowly getting them used to it) and they did fine withought hay. I would also cut brush and throw into their pens (we have lots of yaupon that stays green all winter) or let them out of their pens on a "weed walk" or stroll through the woods.

They would only get what little coastal hay we had on the coldest nights of the year to fill their bellies at night.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You all are a huge blessing........i was born and raised in n.y.c. and this is all very confusing.reading skills are not the greatest...thanks for the posts. feed stores here in ga. are into selling and not real helpful. i appreicte all the help this sight gives....sue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts