1 mater plant died :o(

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HappyYooper, Jul 13, 2005.

1. HappyYooper

HappyYooper Well-Known Member

Yesterday morning I checked all my plants. They looked great. When I got home from town my dh told me one of my plants was dying! I went out and sure enough...the plant was bent over in 1/2 and the upper leaves were all wilted?
    Now I'm going to feel abit foolish asking this question...are tomato plant stalks hollow? Cuz if they aren't this plants were. All my other plants look beautiful this a.m...all have tomatoes starting. Nice green foliage. The plant almost looks like something bent it over.....I don't think it was ME :stars: The very bottom leaves were blackish.... I pulled the plant and burned it.....I sure hope this isn't serious as this is the first year I've had such great plants and tons of maters!
    Thanks!
    Paula

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Probably by accident, you did the exact right thing when you removed the plant and burned it. Your plant was the victim of a stalk borer which was more than likely still inside the stem. More often, they prefer crops such as corn but it happens to tomatoes as well. Removal and destruction of the plant is the normal means of control.

Martin

3. HappyYooper

Thanks for your reply! So far the rest of the plants are fine. Is there a way
    I can check to see if this borer is infesting my other plants? I am a klutz so the breakage could have been me. Thanks again!
    Paula

4. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Thanks for the tip.... I would have tossed it on my compost pile and probably lost all my maters. :shrug: Never dealt with that before.

Kaza

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

No, tomato plant stalks should be not hollow as far as I'm aware on the plants I've grown. What variety was your plant?
    Some disease or pest may be engaged in causing the hollowing somehow. :shrug:

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

7. HappyYooper

I put in Better Boys this year..I'll keep my fingers crossed and a close eye on the rest of my plants but from what I've read if it is a stalk borer there really isn't much I can do :confused:
    Thanks Martin for the link :)
    Paula