1 dead, 1 MIA

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CurtisWilliams, Apr 28, 2005.

1. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    Went out to get the paper this morning, and there on the lawn was one of my expecting F.G.'s, quite dead. One of our Lab puppies and the German Shepard were near by, but they weren't doing anything to the rabbit. She had no bite/chew marks on her, but she had some doggy drool on her neck. She hadn't been dead long as she was still warm and only her legs had rigor. I can't blame the dogs if they had any part in it, there are tons of wild rabbits around and we encourage the dogs to keep them at bay. I checked the pen and one other F.G.'s is missing too. I searched around and found no traces of it. There aren't any tunnels out of the pen. They had to have climbed the fence somehow. I reinforced the areas that I felt were the most likely escape route, but it's like shutting the proverbial barn door.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your rabbits. I'd finger the lab, myself. They are hunting dogs.

My guess is the dogs went in and brought at least the one out. Maybe the other was lucky and escaped?

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Yeah, or the dogs got them freaked out enough that they climbed over. I would point at the dogs as well. No bite marks means nothing, we once had one of our barn cats get into the rabbit barn, and grabbed a baby bunny by it's feet and was eating it through the cage wire, and the mother got so freaked out that she broke her back over it and died. I have had chickens die from getting caught in a dog's mouth, even though they did not physically harm them.