$1.99 Store Eggs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

On the recent post about Joel Salatin and his farm day event I noted the supermarket I use had starting carrying $1.99 dozen large eggs advertised as being from hens fed only a vegetable diet. Carton, among a couple of other health benefits, noted they were 20% less in choresteral (sp?) than regular eggs. At the time I said I doubted they would sell in a rural community like Waverly. Was in the store today and asked the Ass't Manager about them. He said, much to their surprise also, they are selling OK. They aren't flying off the shelf, but they haven't had to dispose of any beyond their best-if-used-by date either.

Thus, I stand corrected. Apparently there can be a market for 'health' food in even a fairly rural area.

2. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

I might have to start going to waverly to shop! Nothing by me thats for sure!

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Doesnt surprise me.1.99 for anything food is cheap at todays prices.

BooBoo

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Krogers must be feedin their hens out of the rendering plant, because their medium eggs were 3 dozen for a dollar this week.
    What does large egg producers have in their feed that isn't vegtable?

5. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

3.99 for 5 dozen large at costco. western WA

6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Organic foods are the largest growing trend in grocery stores. All the chains carry them, and the product lines are expanding rapidly.

7. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Last week at the grocery store I saw 'free range' eggs for $2.99 a dozen and 'organic' eggs for $3.99 a dozen.

I went home and told my chickens "I love you girls". Well, all the ones I could find anyway; they were out roaming the pasture and the bean field. :goodjob:

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

saw in wallyworld yesterday, free range organicly raised veg chicken eggs for 1.86 per HALF dozen

9. Yep, eggs aren't the only thing selling! I went to my nearest populated town (pop. 18,000. 25 miles away) and at the IGA food store they had 1 lb. packages of GRASS FED BEEF BURGER for a whopping $4.36 lb. roll.

10. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

11. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The ones I get a kick out of are the 'Free ranged, vegetarian fed' eggs. That doesn't count the bugs and worms they catch...but I guess that's why is says 'fed'.

Meg

12. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I don't trust any of these providers, how do you know the beef and eggs are what they say they are? They could just label them to get a bigger profit. Wouldn't put it past them.
    BTW, I love my girls too. Especially the turkeys.

13. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

OK - let's say their 20% less cholesterol is accurate.... Average battery-raised chicken egg (large) contains 215 mg of cholesterol. 20% is 43 mg - net is 172 mg. How much does that impact anyone's diet? I know counting these things adds up and is important for some folks, but aren't we succumbing to the hype and markteing? While your reading the carton for heart-healthy, see what their claim is for saturated fat - average for battery-raised eggs is 1.5g - I'd like to know what a diet free of animal proteins does to this number... Wanna do something to positively impact your cholesterol numbers with eggs? Feed your birds (or find someone who does) flax seed (milled). Even 15% of (oil) flax added their total diet (excluding free range diet) can boost the Omega 3 fatty acids from about 60 mg in a large 'normal' egg to over 300 mg.

There's no magic or elixir that's going to 'make everything OK' when it comes to diet, I just hate seeing folks that have legitimate health issues fall for the smoke and mirrors that producers are able to use to market their products.

14. BetsyK in Mich

BetsyK in Mich Well-Known Member Supporter

Those Egglands Best eggs will probably go up in price soon. The farm is near us and they lost a barn to fire last week with 250,000 chickens in it. What a mess!!

15. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

You gotta take into consideration the ?$%* that the conventional agribusiness is feeding their animals. Remember the problems that are arising due to leftover cattle parts that are being used as animal feed. Yes, that right, what’s left of those cattle are being used for other cattle and pet foods. Chickens eat mostly a corn-and-soybean mix, plus rendered animal by-products

The free-range poultry is not getting the same diet as most conventional chickens are. In fact there was a report out the other day stating that the organic milk suppliers can’t keep up with demand. This nationwide desire for organic milk can only be attributed to the BSE scare.

This I believe is why 'Free ranged, vegetarian fed' eggs are a better buy.

16. ndakian

ndakian Lori

I'll bring the BBQ sauce!!!!................Sorry, but you know someone was going to make a joke.
    Anyway, last year eggs in my local Albertsons were going for over $3 a doz!!! I boycotted.........don't think they noticed. Pretty tough pill to swallow considering I used to get them free from the chicken!!

17. ndakian

ndakian Lori

Oh, by the way........I really don't care what they feed the d#*$!d birds as long as I can get a doz eggs for under a couple of bucks!!

18. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

Sign on the way home today. "Large Eggs $0.59/doz" :eek: Little local grocer.

19. ndakian

ndakian Lori

It would probably be less expensive for me to purchase eggs from that little local grocer and have them shipped out fedex then for me to buy them in the grocery stores around here. I refuse to buy them unless they are under $2 a doz. Egg substitute (Egg Beaters) is very expensive here too even the store brand??? Maybe the chickens are on strike out here!!

20. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

At the grocery store today, 1/2 dozen free-range, organic, brown eggs were going for $3.60. At $.60 an egg those things had better have diamonds in them or something.

I love my ducks, I get 3 yummy eggs every single morning from them. In a couple months the chickens will be laying - what are the odds I can get $7 a dozen for them? I just might have to get more chickens.