Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 05 Silverado extended cab and I am putting a CB and XM radio antennas on it. The antennas are attached to a pole mounted on the tool box in the bed. The wires are going to go down between the bed and cab and up though a knock out in the floor under the back bench seat. What I want to do is run the wires up behind the back seat then run them under the headliner to the front. I'd prefer to have them come out from the headliner right in the middle of the cab but I'm not sure how to, or even if its smart to, get the headliner lose enough.

Can anyone here give me advice or point me to a website or forum that can?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I Install two-way radios at work all the time. if i was gonna do what you suggest if the cables are long enough run it under the carpet where it comes through the backseat floor to the plastic floor jamb( not sure of the name for that) then go up the corner pillar to the head liner normally you can shove it under the head liner real easy. you may have to remove the visor. ask if you have any other questions.

greg

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Install two-way radios at work all the time. if i was gonna do what you suggest if the cables are long enough run it under the carpet where it comes through the backseat floor to the plastic floor jamb( not sure of the name for that) then go up the corner pillar to the head liner normally you can shove it under the head liner real easy. you may have to remove the visor. ask if you have any other questions.

greg
Going along the floor and up the door pillar is a no go, the cable for the XM satellite radio is to short. So. . .

The back of the headliner is held in two places by what look like 'plugs' but I pulled one so hard I was afraid I'd break something and it didn't come out. Is it a plug or a big plastic screw or what?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
it is a plug with ribs on it(flat piece of plastic with a shaft on it). what i do is take a pair of wire cutters slide the cutters under the plug and close just until the blades shaft, then place my hand between the headliner and the cutters and pull it out using my hand as a fulcrum. are you going to have to go straight through the center of the headliner, because of cable length?

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is a plug with ribs on it(flat piece of plastic with a shaft on it). what i do is take a pair of wire cutters slide the cutters under the plug and close just until the blades shaft, then place my hand between the headliner and the cutters and pull it out using my
hand as a fulcrum.
I put an open end wrench under it and pulled but when it didn't come out after tugging quite hard I was afraid I'd break something.

are you going to have to go straight through the center of the headliner, because of cable length?
Yep and even then its going to be close. The cable is 16' long, by the time I come down the pole (to get the antenna above the cab), under the cab to the hole in the floor, up the inside and under the headliner to the front I have about 18" of cable left. I can lower the antenna to gain maybe another 6" but that's about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts