Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some one let lose a few Muscovy ducks in a pond across the street from me. I don’t think they will make it all winter with out becoming something’s snack, so I want to try and pen them up. They will come up to the pond’s edge and take food from me but will not come out of the water. I was wondering if any one has a good idea on how to get hold of them.

I also have a bunch of spilled soy beans that are just going to go bad, can I give them to the ducks.

·
Registered
873 Posts
make them come to the feed , little by little get closer to the pen you intend to keep them in. even feed in the open pen for a few days before locking them in.
don't try to grab them , they are powerful for the size and smart enough to not come near if you are lucky enough to catch one by hand.
someones going to say use a net ,but that will only get you one of them and the rest will not come near again.

they are smart birds and easy to teach to come to your whistle, and catch snacks in the air.

I've had some of my birds for years and have never touched them , they simply don't like to be that close to people .

my Muscovy ducks free range and go in on their own like the chickens do.

you really do need to catch them to control their numbers as they will breed like rats and a population explosion is likely .
I had one hen hatch over 50 ducklings this year alone.
this is my 40th year with ducks and find them easy to keep and a real joy.

·
Registered
32,731 Posts
sorry but 1'' toenails on a 15lb drake will shred that net with ease .
you may get a few but will never catch the whole flock like that.
I am sure you are right. You sound like you know your ducks.

Reactions: ticndig

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT try to catch one bare-handed. They are vicious little devils and will both bite and claw you to shreds. They are tree ducks in the wild and can forage for themselves in warm climates. I like them.

·
Registered
873 Posts
the neck on the drake shown in my avatar is as big as my wrist.
with a powerful neck ,huge wings , 1'' toenails and weighing in at 15 lbs he has beat more than one hawk to the edge of death . as long as you don't try to handle them they are a very docile bird towards humans.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Walking them to the pen is not a bad idea, they are friendly (as ducks go) The problem is a busy road between where they are and where I want them to be.

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
I trapped mine. We got them when young and turned then loose on the pond next to our home, They got Big, they started flying onto the roofs of the neighbors homes, on top of their nice cars leaving a trail of poop behind. I set a round pen(I already had) on the tapered end of the pond---2/3rds of the round pen in the water with the door on the side where they could swim right in and I started feeding them beside the pen, then after a couple days I would also throw a little food into the pen, put some on the bank---they got to where they would go right into the pen to get the food in a few days. Then the day before the Auction sale--I fed them and when they went in--I grabbed the string and pulled the door shut and latched. We then pulled the pen onto the bank. The next morning I put on a thick coat with gloves and eye protection---I eased in the door and caught them one at a time and handed them out the door----to the auction they went. I used one of these pens with the tarp removed---so it would not scare them. These pens have netting over the top. Can not get the pic to post---try again in a little.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
You don't need to confine them in a pen in order to own them. Feed them and they are yours. They have lots of good uses around a farm. The best one is muddling through cow patties so they are spread out. They dry, don't hatch flies, and don't stink.

They will select a nest site and keep it filled with fresh eggs that are wonderful for baking. They make the richest cakes.

Muscovies don't like being handled and will hurt you if you try. They have claws capable of cutting gashes. The best way to hold one is to grab it by the wing roots and draw the wing roots together. It still takes two hands to hold them.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
genebo the problem is the ducks are currently in the pond of a neighbor who does not want them, and i am trying to find a way to get them into my pond

·
Registered
873 Posts
so what's to stop them from just going back to where they aren't wanted if you are successful at moving them ? they fly very well you know.

penning them up is the best answer , if that won't work you're fighting an up hill battle.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ticndig i am hopping a nice duck house and daily feedings will get the ducks to think that my house is a good place for them to stay. (no one is feeding them at the other pond) But ya i am planing to put them in a chicken pen until they are settled in.

oh if any one wants to know there are 5 ducks 3 juveniles and 2 adults who i think are a female and a young male, but may be 2 females.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
No matter how much you feed them, unless they are penned up they won't stay. The lure of the pond, and foraging in the mud will be too much to resist. Oh, by the way, ducks were meant to be somebody's snack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts