zucchini cross?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Use Less, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Use Less

Use Less Well-Known Member Supporter

Something that looks like a zucchini plant came up as a volunteer, and now has one large fruit, skin resembling a grey zucchini, but a long cylinder 9" in length and 5" across. Would a zuke have crossed with a pumpkin or winter squash and proved fertile? Not likely to be more fruits. A borer got in there, and looks like I didn't open it up enough to have killed the thing w/a wire :( Sue

2. elmtree3

elmtree3 Well-Known Member

Yes. Zucchini and pumkins are in the same family(c. pepo) and will cross. Last year I grew pumkins and spaghetti squash next to each other. Some seeds ended up in the manure pile, and it looks like I will have some orange spaghetti-looking squash this year.....I wonder what they'll taste like???

3. nebula5

nebula5 Well-Known Member

I have a volunteer which looks like a cross between a butternut squash and a zephr zucchini (part yellow, light green at the tip.) Can't wait to see if it's edible.

4. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is a crossing chart of many of the named varieties in each group, as found in Post #21 of the "Fireside" sticky above: Pollination of Vine Crops
    Since this is c. Pepo, a very large group, you could be getting a cross of anything you planted last year. Or your neighbors.....

Hope this will help.

geo

5. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty I got it on farm status. Supporter

I accidentally ended up with some "puccinis" last year (pumpkin zucc cross) and they were delish. It was very popular in our house for "puccini bread".

6. Glacialtill

Glacialtill Well-Known Member

I've had interesting zucchini/yelllow summer squash hybrids volunteers before. Half is green, half is yellow, divided directly in the middle.

Not sure if it's a cross pollination or just a hybrid reverting. Either way, we ate it.

7. woodsy

woodsy Well-Known Member Supporter

And i saved some Blue Hubbard squash seed one year to plant the next season.
    The hubbard evidently got crossed with nearby zucchini that year and i grew some very
    impressive sized Blue Hubbard Squash that following season.
    One went nearly twenty lbs. ! Had no appearance of zucchini either.
    Took me a while to realize what had happened .
    They were very tasty squash just the same.

Kazahleenah likes this.
  8. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Per the chart, Blue Hubbard (c. Maxima) won't cross with Zuchinni (c. Pepo)...must have been something else???

geo

9. woodsy

woodsy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well thats interesting, could be that i got lucky and grew a huge B. Hubbard squash.
    Should have taken it to the fair for that blue ribbon.
    I know they can get quite large but just never happened here before.

10. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

There are no zucchini or other summer squash in the C. maxima species. There are zucchini in the C. moschata species. C. maxima and C. moschata may cross.

Martin