Wounds from rusty nails

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by Sanza, May 8, 2009.

1. Sanza

Sanza Crazy Canuck

I stepped on a rusty nail today, and even tho it didn't go deep it's throbbing like crazy. Of course I still worked, and I've gotten some advice from some oldtimers that remember the natural remedies.
    Soak it it sour milk
    Soak a crust of bread in boiling milk and use that as a poultice
    Soak it it whey -this one comes from my 84 yo mother that said she used that on me when I was young and it healed without getting infected.
    Does anyone else have any other remedies besides the salted water one?
    Thanks

2. LovPRQueen

LovPRQueen packratqueen 2

I don't have any remedies but maybe consider a tetanus shot if you haven't had one?

3. RevJack

RevJack Well-Known Member

You could need an antibiotic injection into the hole if it pushed dirt up in there.

4. NostalgicGranny

NostalgicGranny Well-Known Member Supporter

Which one was the salted water? Whey? Whey is the fluid left over after your milk curdles or you make butter.

5. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm the biggest advocate of natural methods, but when it comes to something like this, you definitely need to seek medical attention.

The problem with puncture wounds is that you can't get to the bacteria that is up inside the puncture site. Even homeopathic studies have shown that soaking, etc. isn't going to get rid of, nor will it draw out, the bacteria from the object you were punctured with. It's too deep and clings to the body of the puncture.

Plus, you absolutely need a tetanus shot if it's been 10 years since your last one.

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

well, best thing i have found with many years experience is soaking in hot water laced with epsom salts! floats out any debris and even glass most times!

7. MelanieV

MelanieV Active Member

Tetanus grows in anaerobic conditions and the spores live in soil. It isn't the rusty nail that is the problem so much as the soil it is in.

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec14/ch178/ch178i.html

We don't vaccinate routinely.In the case of tetanus, debriding is an absolute necessity. Most adults have antibodies against tentanus anyway, regardless of how many years ago you had a booster. It is more likely to cause trouble in children who haven't been exposed to dirt very often. Using hydrogen peroxide on the wound will both introduce oxygen into the wound and debride it. Then be on the look out for muscle stiffness, or trouble breathing...but that would be EXTREMELY rare.

8. elliemaeg

elliemaeg Well-Known Member Supporter

Sanza, my sil is a physician and when my grandson was visiting, he went to look at our chicks. As he was observing he stepped on a board with a long nail sticking up. The nail went thru his shoe and a long way,until it hit bone, in to his foot. Sil said since it bled a lot then it should have washed out anything that would cause problems and asked if his tetnus shots were up to date.Thinking about the pain that goes with such a wound, I says well, he probably needs to soak it in kerosene because it seems to keep a wound from causing soreness. He looked at me as if he had just been struck by lightning and said " Uh,I really don't think you should put petroleum products on a wound."
    Of course it was all I could do to keep from laughing.
    Hope your foot is better.

9. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

I'm confused....why was it funny?

10. MelanieV

MelanieV Active Member

Kerosene isn't the worst thing to use on a wound, but if you have an alternative such as peroxide or saline rinse: you might want to try that first. It is an excellent antimicrobial, but is extremely irritating to the epidermis and may be linked to increased cancer risk. There are other things that work better, without as much risk. Seems a pity to waste fuel on a wound if you have something else, though.

Also, Vaseline is a petroleum product as is baby oil, and many other ointments and preparations.

11. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

A tetanus vaccine wouldn't do much good, it would be the immunoglobin you'd need.
    If it seems inordinately sore or you get redness from it, of course go get thee on antibiotics post haste. Other than that... I'd soak it well, try to air it as much as possible, and keep it dry dry dry.

But then, I avoid doctors like the plague and freely admit it.

12. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

Everyone who works on a homestead (or anywhere really) should keep up to date with their tetanus shots. Then, pick your home remedy and go with it. They are all about the same because they've worked for the person who recommended it.

13. misplaced

misplaced Well-Known Member

14. dixienc

dixienc Rebelicious

Something our family has done for generations for wounds that turn into blood poisoning, with the red line climbing, is too take milk and start warming it up, add regular white flour a little at a time until it is hot and thick like toothpaste. Get a clean cotton rag, or a really clean cotton sock, place the paste on the rag/sock and place this over the wound. Tie is up sorta tight, but not enough to cut circulation off, and then sleep on it. I have used this on my 5 children for the last 23 years, my mom used it on all of us kids (4), and so has others in my family. I have also used it on friends who run to me for medical help. It works, as long as you catch it early. If you have severe puss, a fever, or a red line longer than an inch or two run to the doctor or hospital immediately!

15. elliemaeg

elliemaeg Well-Known Member Supporter

pink carnation, I am sorry if my post was confusing. An old remedy for a wound is to soak it in keresene. I only laughed because my young sil has never heard of such home remedies.

I stepped on a nail many years ago and was told to soak the wound in kerosene and it wouldn't get sore. I soaked it and it honestly didn't ever bother me at all. I wouldn't recommend it for an aneseptic.

16. MelanieV

MelanieV Active Member

Yep, it's something that people have been turned away from because in normal situations it can damage the cells, but in the case of tetanus it is INVALUABLE.

17. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We always kept a big bottle of peroxide on the sink at the machine shop. Every day when you got cut from a metal shaving, you would splash some on it and watch the bubbles. We used to say the bubbles were from the germs screaming in pain.