Worming milking does-a few questions to ponder

Discussion in 'Goats' started by shiandpete.1, Apr 29, 2009.

1. shiandpete.1

shiandpete.1 Well-Known Member

On milking does what wormer do you all use? Is it the herbal wormer from hoeggers or the other goat supply stores or is it Ivermectin or fenbendazole or cydectin? Also if you use something other than the herbal wormer what about withdraw time in the milk? Or if it is with Ivermectin does withdraw time really matter as it is the same stuff that is used in throd world countries to worm people?

Thanks!

2. Mrs. Jo

Mrs. Jo Well-Known Member Supporter

#1 You need to use what works in your area, for your worm problems.

#2, You need to pay attention to the milk withdrawals on the wormer (or any medication or medicated food) that you give the goats. You should be able to find this info if you google it, or go over to Darygoatinfo and check out their 101 section. I usually print this information out and have it on hand.

Anything that you can't find out about just be cautious and withhold it for a week or so. Use it to feed animals or make soap with, or milk paint.

Technically, it's not the wormer itself that comes through the milk. It's usually the carriers. We no longer use herbal wormers here due to their lack of effectiveness.

3. madness

madness Well-Known Member

We've been using the herbal wormers from Molly's and they seem to be doing the trick. The girls haven't been chemically wormed in 6 months and their fecals are still coming back good.

Our vet (granted, a meat goat vet with little dairy experience) just told us that you should withhold for 30 days after using chemical wormer. That's a lot of milk...

4. deafgoatlady

deafgoatlady Well-Known Member

I use herbal wormer but i do use chemical wormer too. It will work good as long you are doing copper issues. Like for example if you are not giving loose mineral that dont have high copper and it probably will be more likely problem for the goats to be wormy.. And I like to use chemical while they are not in milk. Like dry or bucks or pregnant. It works great for us.. U know.. I keep using copper and loose mineral that have high in copper and i am happy with it..

5. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

Molly's herbal here almost 3 years now with little to no worm load.

6. steff bugielski

Well my milk inspector was just here and I asked him about wormers and milk withdraw.
    He said if you are milking the goat and selling the milk , you can not use Ivomec, Cydectin or valbazen. They all must be used when the goat is dry. The only chemical wormers allowed are those who are labeled for goats. And then you must follow the recommended withholding times.

7. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

Question for those of you who use herbal.

Would you sell or give milk to someone who is pregnant? I know wormwood can cause miscarriage, that would concern me terribly. What if one of your customer gave milk that had traces of wormwood in it to a friend who was pg unknowingly. I know i'd not want to drink it while pg.

I was just wondering if that concerned any of you too.

ETA: I just read that wormwood should not be used by pg (we all knew) or lactating women. So if a nursing woman cannot use it, doesn't it make sense that a nursing animal shouldn't either if it may be consumed by pg women?

8. madness

Molly's herbal wormer is two formulas. The first is given ever 6-8 weeks and contains wormwood. The second is given weekly and does not contain it. This is what is on the website:

As well as this:

9. TennesseeMama23

Yes, I read that, but that doesn't answer my question about how people are possibly selling it to pg women and not disclosing possible problems.

Maybe all who use it are not selling/giving away milk for a reasonable withhold time?

It is just something I have wondered about.

10. madness

We are selling our milk through herd subscriptions and we haven't been selling long enough to have used the Formula #1 since the kids were taking all the milk. It's coming up here pretty soon and we plan to simply give the wormer in the PM and then use the next days milk for personal use (we have two lactating mothers in our subscriptions). Then it's back to selling. That's the plan at least.

11. shiandpete.1

shiandpete.1 Well-Known Member

We have had great success with ivermectin, our fecals show it as do the hair coats in our goats etc. I am going to look into Molly's and the Hoegger's herbal for when we actually get around to drinking their milk; as of right now we have some piggy kids that between the four of them are drinking alot, and when we are ready to drink it will switch to the herbal wormer. Thanks for the info on the copper and herbal wormers. The goats have free choice of the loose mineral and baking soda.

12. steff bugielski

I also bring the milk in the house for home use the day after they get the Wormwood Combo.
    Personally I would rather have these herbs in my milk than those nasty chemicals anyday. But I try not to ingest chemicals in any of my food as is the case with most of my customers.

13. deafgoatlady

My two frienda is using molly's herbal wormer. They hated it . I dont know why. They been begging me to sell some of my herbal wormer that I make it my own and they really want to use mine... So I finally let them and they love it. Oh well. I have been making my own herbal wormer. I like mine. I have been using the wormwood but I dont use herbal wormer while they are pregnant. I used chemical wormer while the does are dry or pregnant. That what I do. Like what a lot of people say give chemical wormer 4 weeks before kidding. Of course I do that too. And I do give chemical wormer a month before breeding time. That what I do. But I always use herbal wormer during milking times. That is all I do.. It works great for us..

14. TennesseeMama23

Do you give or sell milk to people? If you are using wormwood and a pg woman drinks it her baby's life could be in danger. Did you know that, I'm very curious?

The reason Molly doesn't use wormwood all the time is it is harmful to goats long term.

This is what concerns me-people are out there and don't know wormwood can be deadly to an unborn baby. They think "herbal=safe", when in reality it isn't.

15. deafgoatlady

Tennmama, Yes I know that it is dangerous for pg women.. I always tell them what I give my goats the herbal wormer. And they normally tell me that they dont want to buy the milk becuz of the herbs. Which it is very understandable. But most I notice that older people or mom that already have kids always buys the milk from me.. U know..

16. deafgoatlady

Oh i forgot to add that. I always drank the goats milk when i was pregnant with all three kids. My kids are fine. I am fine. It is just up to pregnant people. U know. But I always tells them first before I handed the milk out.. U know..