Why can't you use bleach in front-loading washers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Southpaw, May 21, 2007.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw Well-Known Member

I was told not to use it but now I cannot remember why. My whites look awful. I want to go back to using bleach. What will happen to my washer if I do (its a Bausch). TIA

2. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

My Frigidaire front loader has a place to load bleach (and detergent and fabric softner) built in. I rarely use bleach, but I can if I want.

3. next61

next61 Well-Known Member

Same with our LG; super efficient, quiet, special place to add bleach, like a small drawer on the top!

4. chickenista

chickenista Original recipe! Supporter

I don't know about front end loaders, but if your whites look all dingy... I recommend bluing. I got 5 bottles for Christmas and almost cried with joy. It had been awhile since I had any. Your whites will be blindingly white. Such a source of pride to send my man out with a dirty old work shirt that bright. I use Mrs. Stewart's. I used to be able to buy it in the store, but you can get it on line too. Makes old yellowy denim brand new too.

5. RockyGlen

RockyGlen Well-Known Member

I use bleach in my front loader - it has a compartment to put it in. It's a GE

6. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Mrs. Stewart's bluing brings back memories.

I have used it, but not a lot.

My Grandmother used to have the most beautiful white sheets and so crisp, it just felt like luxury.

Also, it was closed with a cork back then. She always used the cork to 'paint' a ring around the eggs that were hatching eggs. That way if another hen managed to lay on the sitting hen's nest, she would know which one to take out.

7. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... I almost never use bleach. But my Bosch front-loading washer has a compartment for bleach, and there's a section in the manual about the proper use of detergent, fabric softener and bleach. Doesn't your machine have a place for bleach?

8. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I seem to recall the reason being that it ruins the rubber seal around the door. Apparently dry bleach is OK.

9. countrydreamn

countrydreamn Well-Known Member

I have a space for bleach. I put it in when the washer starts to smell funny. I have a Maytag Neptune like the first series that they released. My rubber gasket is all nice and moldy. Nothing that I can do about it, but the bleach wash-no clothes helps with the smell.

Blessings,
    Debi

10. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

An aside re: Mrs Stewart's Blueing.

If your blond hair gets that brassy look a quick temporary fix is rinsing with the blueing.

11. LisaInN.Idaho

LisaInN.Idaho Naturally Twirly Supporter

My Kenmore front loader also has a compartment for liquid bleach which I use. Also, I was told by the salesperson to run an empty load with lots of bleach to kill the mildew that sometimes gets on that rubber gasket.

I used to use blueing on our white pony to get him really white for parades and shows.

12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I don't use bleach either. It gradually destroys the fibers of the clothes.

13. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

Wow, I never heard of Mrs Stewart - but I did a search and came up with a homepage. It has a link for locations that sell it by state. I'm going to get some of this and try it. Sounds like a great bleach alternative. Thanks for the tip. http://www.mrsstewart.com/

Penny

14. Wisconsin Ann

Wisconsin Ann Happy Scrounger

I used to teach riding. One of the kid's mom was really into the whole thing. She decided to wash one of the school horses (white) and rinse with blueing. She turned the horse pale blue. Quite a site.

About your front loader...if it's an older model (say...1995ish) the liquid bleach will eat at the seal on the door. If it's newer than that, you're fine with liquid bleach. We use it all the time on whites.

15. LisaInN.Idaho

Yeah, you do have to be careful with how much you use. A little bit goes a long way! Here is a picture of him after one of his bluing rinses:
    [​IMG]

See...not blue! :p

16. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

Hard to tell because of the shadows, but it looks like a Bay to me.

17. LisaInN.Idaho

:p Okay, it's the pony with the pipsqueak on his back. The white (technically grey) one.

18. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Be careful using bleach if you have iron in your water. the bleach will precipitate the iron out of solution and onto your clothes.

19. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member

I was told that bleach would harm my septic system if used. I use peroxide now for whitening clothes. It doesn't harm the septic AND I can use it in first aid applications. Love things you can use for more than one problem!

20. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

That's how those old women ended up with blue hair. Think Homer Simpson's mom.