Whole oats for rabbits?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GBov, Jan 12, 2012.

1. GBov

GBov Well-Known Member Supporter

I love the taste of my rabbits on coastal hay and pellets but the cost of pellets is going through the roof so I am looking at a few other things to feed them to help stretch them out a bit.

Can I give them whole oats?

And what else can I give em to grow them good and help stretch the pellets a bit?

2. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, you can, but you wont be happy with the results. Most rabbits, won't eat whole oats, they scratch them out of the feeder. They really need to be rolled. Rabbits love rolled outs. Our mill here only crimps or crushes, and the rabbits wont eat them. Its the outer hull that is the problem.

I am colony experimenting with other feeds. The second cutting clover hay I have is really good. I give them that several times a week. Mulberry leaves are a comparable protein source, but maybe you don't have them there? They can comprise 50% of their diet. Any non-pellet feed you give them will cause slower growth, as pellets are specifically made for fastest growth. Read the natural feeding sticky at the top for more info, or you can go to Maggie's forum, rabbittalk.com for additional info.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

3. scpankow

scpankow Raising Cals, NZW and Rex

My rabbits LOVE crimped oats! They eat them faster than I can put them in the feeder, but they cost more than my pellets do here. Also, some of the oats fall to the ground and sprout in the bunny berries and so I have an endless supply of fresh oat greens for them!:bouncy:

4. akane

akane Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine love all forms of oats but oats are a bit fattening. You may need to mix another grain in there to balance it if your rabbits are not being bred and producing heavily. The average rabbit pellet is only 2-3% fat maybe 4 while oats are 5-7%.

5. arachyd

arachyd Well-Known Member

Mine love whole oats. They get about 1/4 to 1/2 cup each every day along with their greens, pellets and hay.

6. scpankow

scpankow Raising Cals, NZW and Rex

I usually make a mix of 2 parts crimped oats, 1 part BOSS and 1 part Calf Manna. I give them about 2 Tblsp of that mixture a couple times a week, more often if it is cold or they are pregnant, nursing.