White Wheaten Marans ?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by CSA again, Dec 15, 2012.

1. CSA again

CSA again Western North Carolina

I got me a couple of White Wheaten Marans hens , and I really like them....and want more.
    I also have several pure french Wheaten Marens Hens , and a Stunning snow white Marans Rooster, Question If I cross the White roo with the Wheaten hen , will I get more white wheaten babies ???
    I'm not even sure the white wheaten hen is a recognized color but it sure is a beautiful and productive bird....

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I know what white is, and I know what wheaton is, but I have no idea what white wheaton is. Can you post a pic?

Gercarson likes this.

3. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you mean Silver Wheaten?

If so, then white doesn't have anything to do with it, that's a Silver/gold thing. If you have a pure white rooster, then he could be either Silver or gold and you can't tell without breeding him to a non-white hen. White in chickens can be either dominant or recessive, and quite often with a kitchen sink of other genes that get the birds as white as possible, such as barring and Columbian.

I would guess your rooster is one like that. If you cross him to your Wheatens, you will be able to tell what he is hiding under the white. Now, having said that, if he cropped up among your own Wheatens from a wheaten x wheaten cross, then that's about the only way you're going to know he's a normal wheaten that just happens to have two copies of recessive white.

Do a test cross with him, is my advice. See what happens. :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. Waiting Falcon

Waiting Falcon Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marans
    According to this site some of the very first Marans were white.
    I do know there is a lot of crossbreeding and people selling what they claim is Marans but I will be very curious to see how your birds turn out.
    I love genetics and have long been interested in Marans. It has been interesting to watch the breeders work on improving color and carriage of the birds for uniformity.

5. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

6. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member

I love it that you have productive marans that aren't cuckos! I love the wheatens but wondered if they were more for looks than for egg laying. I need both!

7. CSA again

I love my Marans I have 1 Black copper roo 5 Black copper hens , 1 Blue copper roo ..snow white 1 roo... 1 White hen ,... 1 blue splash hen.,.. 4 Wheaten hens ...., 1 black hen...2 white wheaten hen ..All are the French kind with the feathers on there feet.

8. CSA again

9. CSA again

theres only 3 marans eggs in the egg pic
    and the blue roo was very young in that pic

10. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty I got it on farm status. Supporter

Very pretty! I do love marans! I'm planning on getting some black coppers and blue splash this spring to start with.

11. bonnie in indiana

bonnie in indiana Well-Known Member

From your pics your Black Copper is disqualified from showing, due to his comb. Also need to work on the egg color. On the egg chart they only rate a 5/6. If you got your stock from a hatchery they are decent representations of the breed.