Where to buy cast iron cookware?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lizza, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello All,

We wanted to switch over to cast iron for cooking and am looking for the best place to buy from. I haven't been able to find anything locally.

I've seen a lot of places (like Amazon) that sells "Lodge Logic" cast iron, is this a good brand?

Thank You!

2. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought my cast iron set from Rural King. It came with the Dutch Oven, 3 skillets, a griddle, the lid lifter. I got it for $49.00. You might see if they have a website and if they would have it available.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Go to yard sales and flea markets. Most can be had for a few bucks.

Patty

4. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I have a whole gob of stuff on cast iron that I wrote.

In a nutshell: yard sales and ebay!

5. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member

In the Seattle area, thrift stores are plentiful and it is very common to see old cast iron cookware for sale at really cheap prices. The thing I like about buying used is that it often already has many years of seasoning. I notice you are in Oregon. My most favorite thrift store is Value Village and I notice they have some in Oregon. Here is a link to their locations in OR.

http://valuevillage.com/whoweare/us/or.php

Also, I see cast at Goodwill and Salvation Army stores but seem to see more at VV.

6. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

I just bought a Lodge Logic cast iron set at a Sporting Store (Scheels). It is very nice. Pre-seasoned $45

I also bought a 12 quart deep unseasoned cast iron dutch oven - even better (Texas-something brand - can't recall all the brand name) ($29)

I noticed our local Wal-mart sells the Lodge Logic cast iron pieces individually and they are less expensive than what I bought mine for in the other store.

I also have hand-me-down pieces. Be sure those you find in garage sales aren't cracked. A bit of rust is OK because you can just clean up and reseason.

7. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

8. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

Cabela's has new ones at a reasonable price.

9. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member

10. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a huge 52 mile garage sale this weekend on my HWY, I'll have to take a drive and see what I can find. I don't know if it's just where we are but I never see any cast iron at the thrift stores. I don't go to that many garage sales though and maybe that's where they are all at.

Thank you so much for all your help!

11. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

I'll tell you one thing about cast iron cookware, the skillet makes the "Best" Chicago style deep dish pizza in your oven. :)

12. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

I agree that e-bay is a good source. But... make sure that the seller knows what they are doing when they pack it for shipping. We've had a few pieces get broken (mostly lids off of kettles) because they weren't packed well enough. Always buy the insurance.

For some reason people think that, because it's so heavy, cast iron won't break. While the reality is that it could shatter if dropped. :shrug:

13. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I second Lodge as a reliable company. They operate in a town of around 6,000 people, so it makes me feel good to support them. Be sure you buy cast iron that's american made!

14. MariaAZ

MariaAZ Suburban Homesteader

I "inherited" a Griswold chicken fryer with lid from my M-I-L; she gave it to me when she moved to a smaller house. Hubby completed my Griswold set via e-Bay. He had good experiences and fortunately everything arrived in tip-top shape.

I've seen lots of cast iron at thrift stores and even some pretty reasonably priced pieces in antique stores.

15. DianeWV

DianeWV Well-Known Member

I bought cast iron skillets at a store around here called "Big Lots"-not sure if you have them in your state-inexpensive prices-decent quality. I also bought some cast iron cookware from K-Mart-Martha Stewart Brand-good. My MIL got me some"LOGDE" cast iron cookware-it's excellent (was preseasoned). I believe, if not mistaken, she got the "LODGE" from Tractor Supply CO. I have a wood-burning cookstove up at the cabin and that's all I use on it. Hope you find some! Take Care.

16. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I buy Lodge cookware at places like 'Tuesday Morning' and TJMaxx.

17. Micahn

Micahn Well-Known Member

I have always got mine at Ace Hardware stores. At least around here they always have a good selection of them.

18. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    For the best deals in cast iron go to the appliance repair places, people often move and forget their cast iron stashed in the stoves lower tray. The appliance people will pick and save what ever they want, the rest is available for sale.

Or get closer to the source, by contacting the scrap metal haulers, the ones that specialize in appliances, they will have long trailers. Catch them at gas stations or wait until 12:00 noon and ambush them waiting for the scrap metal yards to re open after lunch.

Scrap metal yards close for lunch because it takes all to be constantly present for it to run smoothly. The sellers line up at the gates. The sellers are rough looking crowd, thats because they don't have enough money to be prim and proper, but they are fully human otherwise.

Bringing a 6 pack to trade is common... Just make sure its cold. BT,DT

19. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

My son just bought me a cast iron cook pot that was made in the USA. He got it at Tractor Supply. Very nice pot. We've already used it three times for cooking over the fire. We cook outside a lot, especially in warm weather.

Cheers

-Walter
    Sugar Mountain Farm
    in the mountains of Vermont
    http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
    http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
    http://NoNAIS.org