Wheat berries in Texas

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by TC, Jan 20, 2009.

1. TC

TC Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the cheapest price and place to get hard red wheat berries in Texas? Online or driving in person. TY :)

2. trinityoaks

trinityoaks Budding homesteader

Try your local feed store or grain elevator. Seriously! Wheat that is packaged for human consumption is triple-cleaned; feed wheat is double-cleaned. You have to pick out bits of non-grain plant material and get the chaff out, but once you do that, it's no different from the much more expensive human-packaged wheat. Just make sure it's feed wheat and not seed wheat (which is probably treated with stuff you don't want to eat). Feed wheat at my local store is running about $10.50 for 50lb.

If the feed store isn't an option, try Bob's Red Mill. When you figure in shipping, they seem to have the best prices for mail-order. I get all of my hard white wheat, soft wheat, etc. from them.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It really depends on where you are. None of my local feed stores will carry wheat. Won't even order it for me. There are a few bulk buy groups that order through Walton Feeds if you don't mind the delay.

4. snow

snow Member

Call around to the health food stores in the larger towns near you. Most of them will carry wheat in 25lb bags or can order it for you.

The Granary in Tyler TX carries 25lb bags of Wheat Montana. I'm not sure of current price but expect $17-$20 range unless price have fallen in the last 4 or 5 months.

5. deuteronomy67

deuteronomy67 Well-Known Member

Fort Worth Grain Exchange had an add on Craig's list over the summer...you have to call for availability. (817) 626-8213

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

If you know someone in the Mormon Church - they surely have access to plenty of wheat at great prices. Where in Texas are you??

7. TC

TC Well-Known Member

Liberty county