Wheat as alternative or addition to corn?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Noel Goetz, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Noel Goetz

Noel Goetz Member

I have about 3 barrels of Y2K whole wheat left over from not trusting in the Lord. If I soak it to soften it, can I feed it to the hogs? How does it standup nutrient wise? Can this be a primary feed? Anyones comments would be appreciated. Thank you. Noel

2. Noel Goetz

Noel Goetz Member

Saw what you guys said about barley. So wheat should be ok too. Unless you have input different than the barley responses, I'll take this as the same as well. Sorry for being redundant. Noel

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Weavels are common in stored wheat. Have you checked down in the wheat. Pigs could still eat it.. Soak or grind it.. They should have a little higher protien diet than wheat or corn either one.. The most common additive to up the protien is soybean oil meal.. Salt and mineral should also be added to their diet.. Unk

4. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

From what I hear wheat should be boiled to maximize it's feed value.

5. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

If I remember correctly from my Feeds and Feeding class in college --many moons ago--- wheat needs to be ground as coarse as possible and be less that 1/2 of the ration ingredients. If it is too finely ground, it is inclined to cause ulcers. Also, remember that this is just flour that you are feeding them....... their manure will be VERY sticky so make sure they aren't on concrete or you will have one heck of a mess.
    Tana Mc

6. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We've fed lots of wheat. We usually cook it, whole. One book I have says it has 105% the nutritional value of corn. It makes great pork.

7. Noel Goetz

Noel Goetz Member

Hey you guys, thanks for your input on wheat. I'm going to try and get some restaurant leftovers. If I can and its only day old, should I cook it? How about the bones? What size bones can a hog safely eat? Is a mineral/salt lick sufficient for hogs on wheat or do I need to mix loose minerals and if so at what ratio? Lots of questions. Blessing to have you folks as friends. Noel