What would take a HUGE Pekin duck, no remains?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Dazlin, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Dazlin

Dazlin Well-Known Member Supporter

Last week a cochin went missing. I found alot of feathers in a wooded area, but no carcass, or any remains. Two days later, a very big pekin duck was gone!! Searched everywhere, and nothing found, NOTHING!!
    Set a trap all week...nothing. Locked everyone up for a couple days.
    So, my Lab dog chased down a possum one night. We've had many of those around, and never had them attack anything here.
    The other thing..2 large hawks spending too much time here. Also don't think it was the hawks, because, I believe the duck would have put up a fight, and leave feathers. Too heavy to carry off, and no remains found anywhere...just MISSING? TERRIBLE! The remaining ducks have been very nervous, staying clumped together in the pond, or at one end. They usually roam all around.
    Any ideas what would take a HUGE duck, and leave no trace? Two years ago...it was a bob cat...we caught it! But I always found the remains (UGH big mess)

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Owls will take cats. I had one cat survive an attack. She took a long time to heal. Owls took most of the silkies, the guineas and the Muscovys.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

large owls, Eagles, Coyote, Fox, Bobcat, feral dog, or Humans will take a whole big bird like that and leave little to no trace behind,

you need better fences or better guard dogs, predators will find a good place to eat and keep coming back until there is nothing left to eat and then move on,

farmerDale likes this.
  4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Could have been wanderlust, I suppose, but more likely any of the animals KSALguy suggested.

I'm sorry you lost your stock. :(

5. bonnie in indiana

bonnie in indiana Well-Known Member

I recently lost some birds. I thought coyotes but then was almost beheaded by a Red Tailed Hawk, he was flying at the barn door as I stepped into the doorway.

I spoke with DNR=wildlife Biologist. He said that a Red Tailed Hawk can carry off a FULL grown wild rabbit. Well I guess it was a hawk [or Eagle, I have them as I live next to a river].

The man did say that I can get a permit to kill a nuisance HAWK and gave me the number to call for Indiana. I am not a good shot at moving animals other than coyotes so I did not call. Been moving stuff in the yard around and letting the birds out only late in the day when I am outside. Working so far ;).

6. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

a red tail hawk can carry off a couple lbs, but an adult Peking duck could be up to 11lbs much larger than a hawk, an eagle MIGHT be able to accomplish this, but its likely a large four legged preditor,

7. Dazlin

Don't think these are Red Tailed hawks. I some googled some images. However, they are a pretty good size. Anyway, I haven't seen them today, and things have been quiet. It's so strange, because, yesterday I was surprised to find one of my chickens out first thing in the morning. Obviously, she was out all night. She probably slipped by me when I went to feed. I let her stay out all day, and nothing came around. Traps still set, and we are being cautious.
    KSal...you made me laugh about humans not leaving a trace...anything is possible.

8. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

You mention a pond, what about snapping turtles? I have no experience with them, but have heard they can take ducks, etc.

9. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't give your state so it's hard to tell but whatever it was is large enough to carry the whole bird away. That rules out owls and hawks.

I would lock the birds up at dusk and not let them out until after sunup.

10. Dazlin

I Live in central Florida. Everyone gets locked up before 5 pm. They go out after sun rise. These birds were taken in broad daylight, and I was home.

11. parrotman

parrotman Well-Known Member

12. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Do you get eagles around there? They are moving south here in Minnesota. Actually the ones that move are mostly gone.

Don't forget feral cats. They'll take out some pretty big animals.

13. xbigp

xbigp Well-Known Member

that bird flew away

14. CAFinNY

CAFinNY New Member

I had a Saxony drake disappear last spring. Afterward I found out that it had been up on the road after horses! Wouldn't be surprised if someone walked off with it, & had it for dinner! Wouldn't blame them, but I wish someone would have told me before he disappeared!:fussin:

15. ErikaMay

ErikaMay Well-Known Member

Bumpin' this thread. You live in central fl? My top 3 guesses would be:
    Boa constrictor or other giant snake
    Gator
    Bobcat.

16. crazyfarm

crazyfarm Well-Known Member

I lost a load of ducks to a coyote. Could also be a dog. Owls leave behind evidence in my experience. Some hawks could probably carry a pekin off but none that I'm aware of around me.