What type of utility vehicle do you use around the place?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cast iron, Feb 26, 2012.

1. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

ATV, UTV, old pickup, mule, big dog, other?

What kind do you have? What do you like about it, what don't you like about it?

Thanks

2. dirtman

dirtman Well-Known Member

I have my old truck with a winch on the front. I use it to haul dirt, compost and firewood. I'd really like to have one of those six wheel amphibious thingies so I could haul stuff out of my swamp. I'm thinking that the dirt in there must be power-packed and there's a mile fallen cedar logs I like to skid out.

3. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We used a 1965 electric golf cart we hauled out of the dump for three years, until we replaced it with a 1980 gas model five years ago. It gets used daily, has a little plywood bed on the back and tool boxes on board. It never gets a break.

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I use a tractor. I have a loader with a setup that can carry bulk material like brush or hay plus a winch for the three point if needed.

5. Ozarks Tom

Ozarks Tom Well-Known Member

'88 full size Bronco 4wd. Ugly as homemade sin. Tight turning radius. Goes in and out of tight spots for spraying. Pulls grading blade - snow/gravel with a 3 pt hitch I built. Put so much money into the motor years ago, I'll have it till I die.

6. LisaInN.Idaho

LisaInN.Idaho Naturally Twirly Supporter

We've had pretty much everything here: trucks, ATV's, tractor, dump truck, dump trailer...but the best thing we've had was a skidsteer on tracks. Downside: expensive and hard to justify when we stopped doing fencing commercially.

7. oz in SC V2.0

oz in SC V2.0 Well-Known Member Supporter

My truck,1998 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel.

It goes pretty much anywhere,it can haul pretty much anything.

The turning radius in 4wd low,how heavy it is when it is muddy,the 6 1/2 foot bed,that you can't hear what anyone is saying while driving.

8. rancher1913

rancher1913 Well-Known Member Supporter

all of the above. each has its pros and cons so with a selection we can get the job done with the right tool. I know not everybody can afford everything they need so the most valuable to me is the atv, its the most versitile. the utv is great for bigger jobs and as a chore vehicle for kids, ours is lucky to make 10 mph with a tail wind so we don't have to worry about the kids getting stupid with it.

9. ErinP

ErinP Too many fat quarters... Supporter

Hauling, towing, etc is the pickup (97 diesel ford). Cattle work, gathering...is done with horses and/or border collies

10. Welshmom

Welshmom Well-Known Member

I use my CubCadet lawn tractor with a wagon to get around out in my pastures, haul smaller lighter loads, do fencing, et. I like that it uses less gas and is kinder to my pastures, lawn, etc. For bigger jobs I use either my Dodge Dakota pickup or my utility tractor with loader. But for just getting from point A to Point B and carrying a bunch of tools, etc. along, I use the lawn mower. What the heck, it's there, it works, and has saved me a million steps or more.

11. cjean

cjean Well-Known Member

We used to use an E-Z Go golf cart - could strap in tools where the club bags go, and the kids could drive it fine. We also put ATV tires on the back, which gave it more traction and stability.

Now we have an old Toro Workhorse dump truck, the kind they use on the golf courses. It's been a huge back-saver, and is great for hauling firewood from one end of the land to the other, and with racks on, we can clean the whole barn in one load. It holds a LOT of weight.

12. Waterwheel Farm

Waterwheel Farm Well-Known Member

I'd say the ATV's are used the most (dont have a UTV) around here. Easy on fuel, nimble, and will carry quite a bit of equipment like chainsaws, fencing stuff, pulling the woodsplitter, etc. Is it absolutely essential to have one? No. But they do help save one of the most valuable things for me, time. Also, have trucks, tractors, horses, etc...but most times I head to the ATV.

13. kycrawler

kycrawler Well-Known Member

I have a really beater 83 ford f150 4x4that sees alot of hard use hauling feed and hay hasnt left the farm in 2 years and an older suzuki 300 4x4 4 wheeler for checking fences and small quick chores

14. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

My own two feet and a wheelbarrow. I don't like anything about it :D

15. Blackbear

Blackbear Well-Known Member

lawn tractor, atv, pick up truck.Been trying to use the dog but he isnt interested in manual labor

16. andyd2023

andyd2023 Well-Known Member

EZ-Go ST350 UTV-Golf cart with a electric dump bed. We haul everything in it!! Tools, Wood,Dirt, Parts...... you name it. Have tractors and 92 F250 4X4 when we need something bigger. But the EZ-GO gets used every day! Best money we ever spent.:nanner:

17. camp10

camp10 Member

I have an ATV. I have a mower that I can pull behind it and a trailer.

I've put over 700 miles on it in the last 5 years and it's never left my little farm.

18. ryanthomas

ryanthomas Well-Known Member

I use a Kubota RTV 900 with auxiliary hydraulics. I don't like Kubota tractors, but this is a great little utility vehicle. I really like the hydraulic post driver and chainsaw attachments. I had a Gator 6x6 but never really liked it. All these things are way over-priced. If I had time I could make exactly what I want for a few grand.

19. MO_cows

MO_cows I calls em like I sees em

Our tractors are old, one needs engine overhaul and the other is on its last legs. They are 40's and 50's models, can't complain too much. We have filled the gap with an old pickup with a hay hook mounted on the back, run by a heavy duty winch. This rig has moved a lot of big bales and with 4WD, mud or snow don't keep it from getting done. We also use it for fencing. We also have an older ATV which has been very useful. It paid for itself one day when the cattle all got out and I had to get them back home by myself. The truck and the ATV were purchased on the cheap, the tractors were an inheritance. There have been times we sure wished we had something with a front loader but we always find a way to get it done.

20. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

94 chevy 3/4 ton pickup