What type of drinking glasses do you use??

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Queen Bee, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in need of some new drinking glasses. I hate the new, fancy glasses that are paper thin that break w/ the least tap! For yrs., our every day glasses have been lg.,plastic tumblers purchased at WM. We like this size, shape tumbler but they are not very attractive for holidays or company and they have dwindled over the yrs. because everyone takes one home and some never return! We use canning jars for the yard and garden because they have a lid. I am thinking of purchasing some really heavy, clear cut-glass, thick type tumblers at the junk, antique, vintage stores around the county.

Do you think/know if they would have lead in them? And would they hold up to our daily use? Thanks QB

2. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know about old glasses, but I've used a set of thick glasses for about 20 years, and they've held up well, I think we've only broken two or three of them in that time, and I have 4 children now ages 23, 19, 11 and 9, so they made it through the children's years pretty well.

Dawn

3. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

Same ones I use for reading. I can see just the same when I drink with them...

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

5. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

I have drinking glasses, but our favorite is just plain ol pint jars. Great with ice tea or a big glass of cold milk.

6. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Most times a pint canning jar, even for coffee. Fits perfect in the cup holders.

Otherwise I like a thick pint size “pub” glass and pick them up when ever I see them on sale.

7. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I have some crystal that i bought at a Mikasa outlet on sale, some i bought at dept. store on sale, (50%) off or better. I have bought libby glasses by the case at the libby plant in shreveport for $.50, wal mart and garden ridge carry the same ones. garden ridge has them in cases of 1 doz. thin to thick.
    most of my everyday use is the large plastic tumblers that are at local eateries such as bbq joints.
    Ed

8. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

we bought ours at wal-mart. They have a box of them for $8 or so. we split the box and store half of them to use later. I've bought 2 boxes over the last 10 years.
    They are quite thick and include 2 sizes in the same box.

9. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

We use Luminarc glasses. They are super strong, but look nice enough for company. We drink out of the taller tumblers and use the shorter ones for both drinking and storing leftovers ( using the plastic lids sold with the glassware).

Here is a link, though you can find these glasses at many department stores.

http://www.villagekitchen.com/mfg/arc/luminarc/u/working/working.html

10. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    My DH couldn't hold a glass (too heavy) as he is disabled. I found a case of 24 restaurant glasses at Sam's Club. They've held up very well.

11. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I also use pint canning jars, widemouthed preferred. They're easy to wash thoroughly because you can get your hand right down to the bottom.

12. elliemaeg

elliemaeg Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't looked in the last couple of months but Dollar General had some glasses just like the nice heavy ones we got from JC Pennys. They look good and last. We have had our a number of years.

13. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Jelly jars. I used to buy the cheap jelly with the pop off lid. When empty they make great drinking glasses. I notice the other day that they still sell that type of jelly. They are thick and if one gets broken, just buy a jar of jelly and you have a complete set again. LOL

I also have nice glasses for Sunday dinners, wine glasses for toasts with sparkling grape juice, plastic glasses for the grandkids, and lots of mason jars with handles for the guys with slippery fingers.

14. tinda

tinda Well-Known Member

I get my glasses, dishes, etc from a restaurant supply. Ask for the tempered glass., The prices are wholesale and the places are open to the public.

tinda :hobbyhors

15. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

glass yoghurt pots

16. MicheleMomof4

MicheleMomof4 Well-Known Member

At Wal Mart they sell some really thick glasses for $1 each. They come in 3 sizes and I foudn them to be the thickest ones here to buy.Aside from restaurant supply places. :)
    God Bless,
    Michele

17. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i use the jelly jars. it's the cheapest jelly, no worse ingredients than the expensive ones, unless you go with the sugar free organic type jelly's, and the jars/glasses last a long time. i buy it on sale, and um, i now have too many glasses. but i bought the kids each their own color plastic tumbler at wally, so they'd know it was their dirty glass and i wouldn't have that battle anymore. they all have their own plate, too.

18. booklover

booklover Well-Known Member

We actually really like those thin-walled, tall and slender glasses. I like drinking my ice cold milk from a pretty glass. I have a 5 year old. She's never broken one (touch wood!)

19. simplefarmgirl

simplefarmgirl proud GRAMMA

our side of a beautiful mtn,in Alexandria NH
    Boy this is great I am glad to see we arent the only ones to use our canning jars.. we do have regular glasses but hey i am not easy when i am doing dishes,, I break alot of glasses, my mil did buy dh some glasses from the dollar store that have john deere tractors on them and they are pretty heavy thick.. but my favorite still are my canning jars, all sizes depending on what we are doing.

20. mrs oz

mrs oz Well-Known Member

I always thought we were the strange ones too........drinking out of Mason jars. But it just works. They are always around and they are hard to break. We've had many different types of drinking glasses over the years and they just never stand the test of time...so Mason jars for us.