What to do with the plastic folger's coffee "cans?"

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Betho, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

The new folgers coffee is coming in plastic resealable containers now instead of regular metal cans. There's an indent for a "handle" of sorts, so I'm just wondering what y'all do with them?

The lids snap on pretty tight and I've put them through the dishwasher with no problem so I'm thinking food storage possibilities but the plastic seems to have absorbed the coffee scent so I don't know about that.

2. Metagirrl

Metagirrl Well-Known Member

I've gone back and forth on this one myself! I'm interested to hear other folks' plans for them. At the moment, I'm using one to collect compost scraps and coffee grounds for the garden.

3. green5acres

green5acres Well-Known Member

DH takes them to the shop to put nuts ,bolts , etc in.

4. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I'd be interested to hear some suggestions. Mine are piling up. I use some for outside water containers for the dogs and cats, others are used to scoop out minerals for the goats. I store my used needles in them from goat shots until I can take them to the hospital to be disposed of....let's see...
    I store those plastic walmart bags in another and use the bags when I scoop out the cats litter box. That's about all I have. Anyone else??

5. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I use the big ones for feed scoops.

6. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

They're a good size for plant pots and it's easy to poke in some drain holes.

7. danoon

danoon Well-Known Member

yep I've got a couple also and am not sure what to do with them along with the one gallon cat litter containers I recycle every week and those little cappacinno cans with the plastic lids. I hate giving this stuff to the city to recycle but can't come up with anything to do with them.

8. Lynnette

Lynnette Michigan Hobby Farmer

So does my DH, he loves those things

9. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Geez, yeah, help-help-they have gone forth & multiplied in my garage.

Have a bunch in our shed at our land to hold things. But mostly just have a bunch of 'em piled up.

Patty

10. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

During the summer, I dehydrate garden odds 'n' ends (buggy tomatoes, green beans a little too old, odd cucumbers, etc). I find the Folgers cans to be excellent storage for those things, which I use for chicken food when rehydrated. I've used them as cannisters for all kinds of things, foods (when washed out and aired very well), craft supplies, etc. You can easily label the outside with a magic marker or a self-adhesive label. They're stackable, too, so don't take up tons of space. Hope these ideas help.

NeHi

11. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was painting the front porch, I needed green paint, white flat, and white semi all at the same time to do touch up. I used hooks to hang the gallons off the ladder but hauling up 3 gallons of paint (even two) was too much.

DH put a wire coat hanger hoop through each of 3 of the Folger's cans and I was able to hang hooks on the wire hangers. Because they seal so tightly, the paint is still good in there even months later!

12. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I put my wild birds seeds in them, so my chickens don't help themselves, especially Obelisk...

13. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

Plasic coffee cans? why would anybody buy them? Maxwell House is good to the very last drop AND they still give you a real can.

14. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

Cuz they were on sale :p

15. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

compost bucket, and feed scoops

16. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one in the cattle salt sack and one in the mineral sack. They don't rust with the salt. And when I knock them around by accident they don't make as much noise.

17. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............I use several during the summer to store anything sweet so the sugar ants can't gnaw a hole thru and eat up whatever's inside . Those little buggers can cut right thru a plastic sack . fordy... :)

18. makeitdolou

makeitdolou Well-Known Member

You know how you never have enough measuring cups - the one you need is always dirty? I poured in 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 cup, 1cup, 2 cup, etc on one of the coffee cans and marked the outside with a sharpie marker.

I have one small Folgers can in the dog food bin, marked with the correct feed measurements for the dogs.

And I just used one to collect eggs.

Love those cans!

19. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Because they don't rust, the lids last longer AND they fit neatly across the top shelf in my kitchen cabinets. The built-in handle makes them eash to grasp and pull down.

They're perfect storage for potato flakes, rice and my upstairs stash of bread flour!

/VM

20. deb

deb Well-Known Member

I toss my pocket change into one every night. When I took it to my Credit Union to deposit the money into savings, I was happy to find it held over $200 in coins!

deb
    in wi