What to do with ripe pears....

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by Backfourty,MI., Sep 22, 2010.

1. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

I got a bunch of pears from a neighbor. I want to either can them or freeze them for pies or make pear butter.
    The problem is that a few are now ripe & the others are still green & hard as rocks.
    What should I do with the ripe one's to keep them from going bad while I wait for the green one's to ripen?
    It doesn't look like there all going to ripen at all close to each other.

2. Use Less

Use Less Well-Known Member Supporter

You really can't do anything to get the ripe ones to hold till the others catch up. Just go ahead & eat them, or make a small batch of some kind of jam, preserve or conserve. I've tried pie & crisp from ripe pears, but it wasn't that yummy. Lacks the nice mix of sweet & tart in other kinds of pies. Maybe mix w/apples? DH peeled & quartered enough ripe pears to fill a canning jar, then covered w/vodka. In a few weeks, he'll drain & mix w/ sugar syrup for pear liquer. Sue PS My pears ripened a few at a time, then 8 or 10, then the last flat pretty much together, so that's what I canned. It's good to mix some not-quite-ripe when canning, to keep the acid up. Or add an acidifier.

3. Granny Sue

Granny Sue Well-Known Member

You could try drying them.

I make a pear conserve with a few of those candied cherries like you use in fruitcake and cinnamon and nutmeg. It's delicious and so pretty, a great gift at the holidays. Just add the chopped cherries when the jam is in the stir-and-skim stage so they don't lose color.

I have never frozen pears but I wonder if that's possible. We have a bumper crop this year so we're mixing some in with the apples as we make cider.

4. Our Little Farm

Our Little Farm Well-Known Member Supporter

Dehydrate them, they are delicious!

5. Ellen West

Ellen West Well-Known Member

Frozen pears turn to mush, but it makes a great thickener for berry pie.

6. bluebird2o2

bluebird2o2 bluebird2o2

I made fruit cocktail and canned in pint jars.

7. Backfourty,MI.

Thanks everyone, I've been eating some & it looks like more are starting to turn. I may just do up smaller batches in the canner to get them done.

8. praieri winds

praieri winds Well-Known Member

my mom used to peel, cut in half, poach then put 2 halves in a freezer bag with a little poaching syrup and put them in the freezer that way she could do them as they got ripe

9. Backfourty,MI.

That's a good idea praieri winds, but I've never poached anything but eggs before. Can you tell me how to do it?

10. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

I make spiced pear sauce. It is exactly liking making applesauce only I add about a teaspoon of ground cloves for more flavor and can them too. It comes out with a nice pear taste with a little zing from the cloves.

11. mistymomom

mistymomom Well-Known Member

You can put your pears in a paper bag with a ripe apple and they will ripen faster. I actually like mine a little green for canning. They are closer to fresh after canning. I agree with others, I use the really ripe ones to make pear sauce.

12. crispin

crispin Well-Known Member

I just put up pears from my tree for the first time this year.
    I have a few pints of pear butter but it tastes grainy, I do not really like it.
    I also cored and quartered pears and put them in a light sugar syrup.
    WOW! I am very surprised at how good they came out. Soft and lightly sweet. Much better than eating them fresh. I think the slight cooking they got in the canning process really does something to soften the fruit.

13. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

Poached pears are so good, I also stew them 1/2 and 1/2 with apples a little maple syrup or honey and spoon over pancakes. Bartletts only for me. I dry a lot of them....James