What does a 4 year old girl want for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Leister Square, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Leister Square

Leister Square Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a 4 year old girl in my extended family who was adopted in this past year. She's been through a lot,and we all want to make this Christmas special for her. Problem is, my youngest is a 15 year old boy...so, what does a 4 year old girl want for Christmas? I know lots of you have your finger on the pulse of this! Thanks in advance!

2. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Our Little Farm

Our Little Farm Well-Known Member Supporter

4. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

The little girl at my house LOVES craft things of all kinds - water colour paints, those books you can paint on with water and the colours show up magically, crayons and colouring books, beads and string ... all that stuff is a huge hit. She can play for hours.

She's also very imaginative and likes to play pretend with her little polly pocket people - they have a boat and lots of 'bits and bobs' to make up stories.

Another girl I knew was the very happy recipient of a box of dress up clothes - I went to the thrift store and got a uniform shirt, and a fancy 'first communion dress' (that for her, was like a wedding dress), and some other things and put them all in a tickle trunk.

5. NickieL

NickieL Accidental Farmer

anything tinkerbell...

at least that is why the little girl that I watch sometimes for my neighbor is pestering me for LOL

That and a bicycle.

6. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

My 4 yr old granddaughter has requested "Polly Pockets" and a musical jewelry box with a twirling ballerina.

7. MoGrrrl

MoGrrrl Well-Known Member

My girl is nearly 6.
    Big hits with her have been:
    Art supplies - especially glitter paints/glues, stickers (get cheap ones, the point is to use a lot on one page!), her art easel, finger paints
    Littlest Pet Shop (Like Polly Pockets)
    Horses
    Princesses and Fairies

I don't know what your budget is, but last year grandma got her a kids digital camera that was a big hit.

8. Leister Square

Thanks for the quick replies, guys! Wow, littlest pet shop and polly pockets--my daughters are 25 and 23, and they used to play with those. Ahh, memories. How about dolls? What "life size" dolls are in these days? I will definitely get a polly pocket, but would like something a little bigger as well. A pony, well, can't ship that across the country!

9. Fair Light

Fair Light Well-Known Member Supporter

My 5 year old granddaughter asks for the same thing for every Christmas or birthday....a new baby doll....Yes she has many many baby dolls but it doesn't matter to her.....I usually get something inexpensive and make a baby layette for it....bottles, diapers (with velcro), a blanket and baby outfits.
    She is also a big fan of play dough.....

10. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

something soft, or sparkly. maybe a very lush wrap around scarf. (suggesting something outside of the toy category)

how about making her a delicate, but sturdy magic wand out of a dowel rod, painted or wrapped with something, 2 feet long, complete with tassels, maybe a few tiny bells on the end of ribbons, glitter covered ball or star on the tip, and a little cloth or leather name plate that hangs off on a strong ribbon that reads 'Princess Whatever'. (you didn't say her name)

My mom made me one of these one year when I was having a really bad time in life. I was much older, but I still have it, and as far as material possessions, it means the world to me.

11. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I hear they like those American Girl dolls but I also hear that those are expensive. I was Barbie crazy by the time I was four.

One cute idea is buying a sweet little purse and filling it with play make-up, stickers, a toy phone, toy car keys, etc.

My problem is buying gifts for the little boys in my family. I just don't know what's cool versus what's lame.

12. Leister Square

more great ideas! I have nephews, so as for boys, I can help in the 7-11 age range. DVDs. Also gmes if they have a game system. Those are expensive, though. Also pokemon cards, bionicles (building sets, about $9) and the big thing--Bey Blades, spinning "battling" tops. Get the kind with electronic lights, about $10 if memory serves at Walmart last week. I can't believe those are still popular--like the polly pockets my girls played with, my 15 and 18 year old boys played with those tops. Legos are always popular. Hope that helped.

13. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Okay, I just looked those things up on Amazon and the bionicles look like something they would play with. They seem to like blocks and they seem to like action figures, so those bionicles are like two in one. Thank you :)

14. Forest

Forest Well-Known Member

Books! You can never go wrong with a good book.

15. Leister Square

Yes, bionicles are great. They can collect and build them and play for hours.

16. Joshie

Joshie Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on the girl. Why don't you ask her and/or her mommy? My DD doesn't particularly like dolls. Well, she likes American Girl dolls because they're large enough for her to dress and undress. Barbies are impossible for her to play. They have a type of American girl doll geared towards younger kids.

Does this girl have any fine motor problems? A lot of abused or neglected kids have developmental issues like motor problems.

Ideas: Bike, play makeup, drawing stuff, paper (typing paper is great for kids), coloring books, horsey stuff, dress up clothes, candy, music, jewelry, clothes, spending money, etc.

The thing my daughter loved at that age, and still really likes is board games. It seems to me like games would be the ideal thing. She can interact with her family, they're learning tools, and they're darned fun.

Even though you didn't ask for it I want to give you an important piece of advice. Please don't go overboard with presents. Spoiling her won't help her. It won't make her past go away and it won't help her feel like everyone else in the family. If you start with a huge Christmas she'll expect it all the time. I'd give her the kinds of presents you give all your other extended relatives.

17. Elffriend

Elffriend Well-Known Member

My niece is 5. I guess THE "hot" toy for little girls this year is the Lalaloopsy dolls. She also likes all things Hello Kitty and dress up clothes.

When my now 17 yr old was that age she wanted books, legos, craft supplies and Brio trains. One of her favorite craft things was beginners needlepoint. The kit we got her was plastic canvas with a design printed on it, colorful yarn and a blunt plastic needle. She continued to ask for more of those kits for years.

18. Our Little Farm

Our Little Farm Well-Known Member Supporter

Board games are great! We started at that age and now have a large collection. It brings the family together with some good old fashioned quality time. :)

19. jennytw

jennytw Well-Known Member

Puzzles, board games (my 4yr old girl loves to play memory), polly pockets, stuffed animals, and baby dolls. Play clothes are also a lot of fun- the more sparkles the better.

20. MJsLady

MJsLady The Prairie Homemaker Supporter