Well that was no fun

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by fishhead, Mar 19, 2017.

1. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Yesterday I was out with the dogs cutting dogwood osier stems to plant along my shoreline.

On the way back to the vehicle I was carefully and slowly walking on a frozen puddle that covered the whole trail. It was really uneven. I let my feet get to close together and suddenly my feet shot out to the left. I only had time to raise my right arm enough so that I landed straight down on my elbow with a loud crack sound coming from my shoulder.

I rolled onto my back and laid still. Then I started to pass out with my vision getting dark and starting to sweat so I forced myself to sit up. My dogs came running up to give me a sniff. They stayed pretty close after that.

After a few minutes of calm breathing I was able to stand up next to the trail but then started sweating again so I had to kneel for a while.

I made it back to the car with the bucket of dogwood cuttings.

About an hour later my upper back muscles got really sore but after taking some ibuprofren and putting some Icy Hot on it the soreness went away. I woke up this morning expecting to be as stiff as could be but I'm not stiff at all and the soreness isn't bad either. So far so good.

This morning I ordered some nice ice cleats that slip over boots. $31 with shipping but well worth it considering the cost of broken bones or wrecked joints. Plus I don't have to walk so timidly on ice. I can go more places too. We were on the remnants of shelf ice along the river and it has some slope towards the water so I didn't dare try to get water from the river for the cuttings. With cleats I could have reached the water.

2. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

I get in trouble if I take big steps while walking on ice. My feet get too far apart to recover if one slips out from underneath me. I have to take short steps when on ice. It's called the Minnesota shuffle.

I am glad you seem to be OK. I would worry about the crack noise.

I wiped out spectacularly once. I smacked the side of my head on the ice and was unconscious for about 5 minutes.

fishhead likes this.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We both have a pair of slip-on ice cleats...the kind with the little carbide rods on the bottoms. They are definitely invaluable. When we went to the Icefishing Extravaganza on Gull Lake this year, I loaned mine to my Texas stepson(Texans have no idea how to walk on ice). So, I went out on glare ice without any on. I knew at any minute I was going to buy it.....but luckily I did not. Just had to do the penguin walk to our fishing holes.
    Glad to hear you're okay.

fishhead likes this.
  4. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds to me like you may have gotten a concussion! You do not have to hit your head to get a concussion. If you are experiencing headaches at all, you may want to see a doctor. At a minimum, you will want to avoid any more impacts or falls for at least a week, 2 weeks is better yet.

Kind of a close call there. If you had stayed unconscious you may have slipped into hypothermia before awaking! Be thankful.

I wiped out the other day as well. On an icy slope. I landed on top of the plastic bucket I had, smashing it and breaking my fall a little. I was OK.

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad to hear that you are okay. That couldn't have felt good.

I didn't know about getting a concussion without hitting ones head on the ice. It was a serious sudden jolt. It was almost like when my feet suddenly slipped it torqued my upper body with a lot of extra force. My shoulder hurts now more than it did before the fall. I'm planning on swimming this week so that should help. My shoulder muscles could stand some toning and I had been thinking of swimming laps again.

I'm going to send an email to my doctor and ask him about the almost blacking out. That was strange.

6. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member