wasps building nest in my bird houses and

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by barnyardgal, Apr 4, 2010.

1. barnyardgal

barnyardgal Well-Known Member

need to get rid of the wasps...ugh!! i cleaned them out twice already this year and they keep rebuilding back in the bird houses,one bird house i soaked rag in gas and plugged the hole up on the house and killed them but now birds won't build in it cause of the gas smell i am guessing.....any suggestions would be appreciated......

Thanks for any suggestions !!

2. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

paint the inside the indian Turquoise. I watched a show about old Tx houses and they use that color inside there home to keep them from building those nests. I guess they don't like that color

3. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Are these mud dobbers or paper wasps? Both are beneficial & if you run 'em too far off, you'll eventually have canker worms (inch worms) all over the place defoiliating your trees.

We have wasps trying to build on our porch so we swabbed the areas w/orange oil solution. You could do that in the bird houses too, probably want a weaker solution for that.

Kept them away -but building somewhere near-for 4-5 yrs. Saw some 'nosing' around the other day so prolly should do the orange oil again.

Patty

4. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I read a hint here on Homesteading to coat the inside top of the house with vaseline. I did it but it is the first time to try it so can't say if it works or not. Apparently they can't attach their nest because of the vaseline.

5. happybluebird

happybluebird Well-Known Member

Vaseline works VERY well for keeping wasps (the brown paper wasps) from building in nest boxes. You just need a thin coat on the roof and down about a quarter to a half inch of the sides. Just use a paper towel to remove any excess. I redo my boxes each spring before nesting season begins (it is much easier to do and empty box than one with a nest in it). It really is an important step because a wasp will cause a bird to abandon the box, even if they have eggs or babies in there.

Gasoline ~ I would get a new box. I just don't know how you would ever get that completely out of the box. You don't want any kind of toxin in there that could be harmful to the birds. It's not worth risking it in my opinion.

6. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

I'm going to remember & try the vasoline this year. We have wasp's & yellow jackets that get into about everything here.