VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO GROW NUTS AND FRUITS

Discussion in 'Testers' started by Kelle in MT, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Kelle in MT

Kelle in MT Well-Known Member

Looks great :D Elizabeth. I can help out with the Apple trees, although I'm learning the how to's as well. Our neighbor tells us we have a Mulberry and two cherries as well, so I'll be looking at the info in the 9th ed. I'll compare it to other books I have and watch for everyone elses reports here.

I've grown strawberries for several years, but have to start anew here.
    I've also had raspberries and didn't have much luck with them, I'll look and see what I can add if anything.
    Blessings,
    Kelle in MT.

2. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Howdy do! I will help out where I can. We have plums(santa rosa and damson),

peaches(red haven I think it is called, and elberta, and a white one that I can't remember the name of it..very very sweet)

Apricots, They take a long time to start producing. Don't give up on them. Mine took about 6 years to start getting fruit.

Cherries, I had trouble with the birds devouring my berries and I bought a net at an auction...actually I think it must have been an old soccer net or something....and will put that over the whole shebang this year to keep them off! Hoping it will work.

pears,

apples(8 varieties, some were here when we moved and 6 I planted when we got here about 6 years ago)

nectarines

blackberries

boysenberries If you want more boysenberry bushes...or blackberries, raspberries, or anything in that type of bush.....you can stick the end of the canes down into the soil in Sept. and then put a rock over it. In March you get a new plant and you can cut the cane off to leave about 4 inches in your new plant.

strawberries- mine love ashes. I sprinkle them with it during the winter. Never fertilize your strawberries after they start to put on fruit or you get mushier berries.

trying to grow raspberries for the second time now...

elderberries grow wild on my fence- and they love water. The grass always grows greener over the septic tank...and so do my elderberries! heeheehee! That is where they came up over. Birds love them so if you want to keep them all for yourself you can throw a netting over it. I seem to always have plenty though.

grapes- I started some grapes that a friend gave me seeds for. She didn't know what type they were but they readily came up from the seeds that she saved. It took a long time to germinate them but since then they have been going like crazy. My main crop is from Concord grapes. I make grape juice from them every year as well as jelly. Beautiful color!

and I think that is it for the fruits....

Nuts...we have lots of black walnut trees native around here

acorns are native here too..

Also have sand plums growing on treeish bushish things by the road that makes great jam and jelly!

Also.....persimmons grow in our fence row on pretty good sized trees.....

Let me know how I can help with any of those in my list. I have grown apples and peaches for years now as well as strawberries......the rest are fairly new to me within the past 6 years or so.

3. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Now that winter is (hopefully) over, I've had a chance to see how the fruit trees & bushes I planted last year fared.
    Reliance peach (Miller Nurseries) - looks great, fat buds
    Champion peach (Miller Nurseries) - looks dead, but I think they guarantee.
    Montmorency cherry (Miller Nurseries) - good
    blueberry bushes (Miller) 6 of 7 look good
    Winter banana apple (Miller) looks good
    Everything except one peach from them are in good condition, nice shape, a bit expensive.
    Sungold apricot (Gurneys) looks dead
    Moongold apricot (Gurneys) might be dead
    Japanese plum (Gurneys) looks OK, not great
    Royal anne Cherry (Gurneys) looks dead
    Pear (Gurneys) looks good
    Oriental pear (Gurneys) looks very good
    Not the bargains the original price indicated. these were a buy one, get one free special. I'll check on their guarantee, if any.
    Smokehouse, York Imperial, Granny Smith, Cortland apples (Tomlinson's, a local hobby nursery) all look healthy, not shaped, costly.
    Mulberry (Raintree) looks OK
    Cranberry (Raintree) Look good
    Gooseberries & Currants (Jung) look good, getting leaves.
    Lapins Cherry (county extension sale) dead, as are the assorted tree seedlings I got from them, come to think of it.
    Here's the fly in the ointment. I bought 2 apricots, 1 granny smith apple, montmorency cherry and a couple others I forget at Lowe's (big box home center) They were inexpensive, large and are doing great. I bought 4 more fruit trees and 5 blueberry bushed from them this past weekend. I try to support small businesses, but the Lowe's trees are larger, more robust and cheaper than most.

Diane W (beaglady)

Late melting snow kept me from getting out to prune them as early as I would like, tho I got it done. But that's another post for another day.

4. Elizabeth1

Elizabeth1 Active Member

Nan, I definely need your help. I am fixin to start adding names to the list and yours will be one. Thank you, Elizabeth1

5. Carla Emery

Carla Emery In Remembrance

In this chapter, let's make clear to folks that we welcome folks with experience growing any of these as well as those who plan to plant them new. Most are perennials and take years to get going. So a promise to post some feedback on what the book says about it would suffice!
    Carla

6. mamma23boys

mamma23boys Member

We are just getting our orchard started and have found Carla's book invaluable thus far! We used the tree planting instructions to plant 3 apple and 2 cherry trees this past fall (which I already posted about somewhere quite awhile ago).

Here's what we'll be planting in April:

2-3 pear trees
    2 peach trees
    75 strawberries (Tri-Star)
    10 raspberries (Summit)
    3 blueberries (Patriot)
    1 quince tree
    5 filbert trees

The apple varieties we have are Jonathon, Golden Delicious, and Winesap. The cherry varieties are Meteor and Mercury. I'll update the pear and peach varieties as soon as I know what they are.

Already on the farm are mulberry trees, chokecherry bushes, and wild plums.

Linda

7. Elizabeth1

Elizabeth1 Active Member

Here is a list of trees from the ninth edition with page numbers.
    SUGAR TREES:
    Maple p.418

NUT TREES
    Acorn p.423 nan, beaglady
    Almonds p.424
    Beechnut p.425
    Brazil nuts p.425
    Cashews p.425
    Chestnuts p.425
    Coconut p.427
    Filberts p.427 mamma23boys
    Hazelnuts p.428 beaglady
    Hickory Nuts p.428
    Pecans p.428
    Macadamia p.429
    Peanuts p.430
    Pinenuts p.430
    Pistachio p.430
    Sweet Apricots p.430
    English Walnuts p.432
    Black Walnuts p.431 nan, beaglady, ardguard, mamma23boys
    Butternuts p.432

FRUIT TREES
    APPLES P.433 kelleinMT, beaglady, ardguard,mamma23boys
    APRICOTS P.437 nan,beaglady
    CHERRIES P.433kelleinmt,nan,beaglady,mamma23boys ELDERBERRIES P.440 nan,beaglady
    JUJUBE P.441
    MULBERRY P.441 kelleinMt,beaglady,mamma23boys
    PAWPAWS P.441
    PEACHES P.442nan,beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys
    NECTARINES P.442 nan
    PERSIMMONS P.444 beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys
    PLUMS P.446 nan,beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys
    QUINCE P.447 mamma23boys
    PEARS P.443 beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys

SUBTROPICAL AND TROPICAL FRUITS
    AVOCADO P.448
    BANANA P.449
    BREAD FRUIT P.449
    CARAMBOLA P 449
    CAROB P.450
    CHERIMOYA P.450
    CIRTUS P.450
    DATES P.451
    FIGS P.451 ardguard,Elizabeth1
    GUAVA P.452
    JUJUBE P.453
    LYCEE NUTS P.453
    MESQUITE P.454
    OLIVES P.454
    PAPAYA P.458
    POMERANATES P.459
    PICKLY PEAR P. 459
    ROSELLE P.459
    TARARILLO P.459
    VINE, BUSH & BRAMBLE FRUITS
    GRAPES P.460 nan,beaglady,ardguard
    KIWIS P.462
    PASSION FRUIT P.462

BRAMBLE BERRIES
    RED RASPBERRIES nan,ardguard,mamma23boys
    BLACKBERRIES(ALSO NONE AS BLACK RASPBERRIES) nan,beaglady,ardguard,caroline00

NON-BRAMBLE BERRIES
    BLUEBERRIESp.465 beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys,caroline00
    CRANBERRIES P.465 beaglady
    CURRANTS P.465beaglady
    GOOSEBERRIES P.466 beaglady
    HUCKLEBERRIES P.466
    SARVIS(SASKATOON) P.466
    STRAWBERRIES P. 466 kelleinmt,nan,beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys,caroline00
    THAT IS THE LIST FOR THE NINTH EDITION. I WILL DO THE LIST FOR THE 10TH EDITION TOMORROW AND WORK ON THE RECIEPES. THANKS ALOT ELIZABETH1

8. Elizabeth1

Elizabeth1 Active Member

Will post tomorrow list of trees and reciept(sp) from trees. After that I will be going back through to edit on who is doing what. Please bear with me till tomorrow and help all you can. Elizabeth1 :D

9. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Tomorrow we are going to plant our bare root fruit trees we purchased from Stark Bros. One is a standard, one is a semi-dwarf and the rest are dwarf. They included a planting guide. Holes are partially dug and the drip lines are bought. Tomorrow will be a busy day. Will let you all know progress of the trees through the summer. Most are one and two year old trees of varying varieties.

10. Carla Emery

Oh, I'm really looking forward to seeing a list of plants that can grow close to black walnuts!
    Carla

11. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Here's the list of what I have planted. Some are new last year, so I can't guarantee fruit, but will report on what I can. I have lots of pruning and rehabilitating to do, so I plan to report on that.

Acorn, Hazelnuts, Black Walnuts, and a walnut hybrid called heartnut. I have good intentions of posting links to several sites listing plants that will grow near black walnuts.

APPLES, APRICOTS, CHERRIES, ELDERBERRIES, MULBERRY, PEACHES, PLUMS, PEARS

GRAPES, BLACK RASPBERRIES, BLUEBERRIES, CRANBERRIES, CURRANTS, GOOSEBERRIES, hopefully also
    STRAWBERRIES

Work is annoyingly busy right now, with 15 hours overtime last week, so little else is getting done. (including my taxes, grrr) I'm really glad to have lots of homemade convenience food in the freezer for times like this. Within a few weeks, I should be back to normal, posting and tossing my opinion around. ;)

12. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

My quinces, which I planted as bareroot trees two years ago are about to fruit their first crop. Not only are they the most beautiful trees you could imagine, but we completely ignore them and get the most fragrant, delicious fruit for jam we want. Everyone should have a quince tree or two!

I planted Huckleberries from seed (got the seed at Baker Creek Heirlooms) this year, and wasn't sure I'd get a crop. I started them with the tomatoes, treated them exactly the same, and I've got a huge number of berries, just starting to turn ripe on bushes as tall as I am (and I'm 6'). I can't wait to start making Huckleberry jam! I'm in zone 4, so this is a real coup, and how many other berries can you grow from seed.

Our black currant bushes have been growing like mad - and yum! We've made syrup and jam from them, and they are wonderful - our favorite jam so far is blackcurrant-raspberry.

Our wild apple trees are going to make a big crop this year. We don't do anything to them, we just go out and harvest the fruit. I admit, I love that!

Sharon

13. Elizabeth1

Elizabeth1 Active Member

:D Hi! I am Elizabeth1 and Carla recuirted me as the new FL. Please I need all who are members of this to please post here and help me all you can. I will start adding more info. tomorrow on the ninth edition and on the 10th as soon as I recieve my copy. Thanks alot, Elizabeth :D

14. Kelle in MT

Great start Elizabeth! ;) You may want to email each of your testers personally introducing yourself as the new FL of Trees. Let me know if I can be of any help.
    Blessings,
    Kelle in MT

15. Elizabeth1

Elizabeth1 Active Member

:D Kelle in MT, Thanks I have already emailed the list that Carla gave me and I think you were on the list? Thank you for posting. Elizabeth1 :D

16. Kelle in MT

I don't think it's me but Carla could have just thrown me in :D , although I don't have this chapter yet.
    Blessings,
    Kelle in MT

17. Carla Emery

Hi Kelle and Elizabeth1! Elizabeth wasn't on the original FL list because she only recently became FL of Tree. But I e-mailed you, Kelle, about her.
    Carla

18. Kelle in MT

Yep, I added her to my FLers list ;) I look forward to helping her anyway I can. :D

19. Elizabeth1

Elizabeth1 Active Member

I didn't get started today like I wanted to but Lord willing I will tomorrow. Had to take dd to the dentist and you know how that can go. Elizabeth1 :oops:

20. Kelle in MT

Don't fret, you're doing fine ;)