Tree Hit By Lightning, Will it Burn?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by inthewoods, Nov 2, 2005.

1. inthewoods

inthewoods Well-Known Member

We have a huge oak tree that was hit by lightning. We cut it down last week and wanted to sell it but someone said it wouldn't burn. Is this true?

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Some will burn pretty good, & some won't. We nearly froze one winter burning post oak that had been lightening struck. It burned ok, but there was no heat.
    We haven't made that mistake again.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmmmm--I sure learn't something--------All these years I have been cutting down lightning struck tree's. and using them to heat with-----I was not heating----------I have used Large amounts of these tree's and have Never noticed any difference in the Heat output if the tree was cut before it rotted. Rotten wood want give much heat. Interesting------I want to hear more!!! Randy

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

did your milk spoil too??

that'd just retarded, seriously, an old wives tale at best.

wood struck by lightning will heat just as well as the same kind of wood not struck..

seriously people, engage the brain.

5. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

i think that one will go under old wives tale.....until someone can prove me wrong....the lightning heats up the water in the tree,,,it turns to steam, very very fast..the steam poofs out (thats a term boiler engineers use for explosion) splitting the wood and blowing the bark off....what about that could cause any difference in burning? as one of my professors would say...how does the fire know the tree has been hit by lightning? if its oak and its dry it will burn good,,,if its wet it will burn bad.

6. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Is this a trick question?

7. greenmech

greenmech Member

I have always saved any lightning struck wood as fire starter for camping trips, we call it fire knot. Not sure where that term came from but picked it up in Florida and it was true it would start a fire quicker than kindlin.

8. OD

OD Well-Known Member

It's not an old wives tale. It apparently does something to the wood that causes it to burn differently. I don't know if it does all wood that way or not, but sometimes it does.
    BIL tried to burn a hickory tree that had been struck, & he said that he couldn't get it to burn. He finally took it out & threw it in a gully on his place.
    We helped a neighbor skin a cow that was struck by lightening, & he had her ground up for hamburger meat, & gave us several pounds. It had a burned taste & the dogs didn't even like it.

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

tis true, I have a pile of hit oak here, it has a burned core thru the whole trunk. the bark is charcoal.

it doesnt really burn right..... it does burn...but not like the unstruck oak off the trree beside it.
    who knows, I just burn it.

10. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've burned lightening struck elm with no problems at all. Good heat and half the splitting!

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Anything organic will burn...lightening struck or not. I have to assume that your acquaitance meant that "the oak will not burn unless it is seasoned first."

12. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Do you season lightning-struck wood differently or will the usual pinch of salt and pepper suffice?

Will cayenne make it burn hotter?