Travel to Belize? Safe? Not safe?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Mid Tn Mama, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you been? Would you go at this time? Tell me what you have experienced.

2. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

I haven't been but my dd was there 3 years ago. She had no trouble then and stayed for 5 weeks as a missionary. She had a great time. The pics were beautiful.

3. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

It was wonderful ! They even had pictures of criminals in the store fronts. They would say "wanted for theft of Spam " or something like that. Things that are just a simple crime here. I got a kick out of that, but they are really serious about people being honest. It was so peaceful. The people seemed so happy even though they owned very little when it comes to worldy goods.
    Just take some REALLY strong insect repellent. Something with strong Deet. I came home looking diseased and itching for weeks. Nothing would stop the itch, not even prescription creams.
    Just don't order bamboo chicken unless you are prepared to eat it..... iguauna.

4. kbshorts

kbshorts Well-Known Member

Yes, several times. Belize is a wonderful place and we have never had one moments problem. We stay in the more remote southern area, world class fishing, jungle exploring and wildlife watching. We met our host on this forum. Sue Harris, she isn't on a lot but check out her website. I would highly recommend her, you can't go wrong with a resort that has a free range chicken flock. Book a night trip up the river to see the crocs!

5. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

My inlaws went there many years ago and I heard recently that some radical homeschoolers had picked Belize as the country to escape to if the freedom to homeschool was threatened.

6. Deacon Mike

Deacon Mike Yuppie Scum

The place is awesome. Be sure to see the zoo

7. bluesky

bluesky Well-Known Member Supporter

It was so beautiful. We loved it and would go again in a heartbeat! The people we met were friendly and helpful. The snorkeling off Caye Caulker was awesome. There are bad people everywhere so just use common sense and pay attention to your instincts and you should be just fine.

8. TurnerHill

TurnerHill Well-Known Member

I like the country a lot. We've been there twice.

There are places, especially in Belize City, where it is unwise to venture. Especially after nightfall.

The Cayes are generally very safe.