Tomatoes don’t taste like tomatoes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Obser, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Tomatoes just don’t taste as good as the used to, do they? The taste isn’t near as distinct and strong. Right?

Varieties have changed, of course, and the “plastic” tomatoes sold in most grocery stores are breeds developed for durability, appearance and marketability, not for taste. But even the tomatoes grown in our own garden don’t have the taste we remember – even when we grow some of the old breeds.

Have even the traditional tomatoes changed? Or, is there another explanation?

Here’s a thought. Doesn’t everything taste a bit bland (or less distinct and powerful) compared to how it used to taste? As a kid I can remember the poignant taste of vegetables, the bitterness of some fruits, the “take your breath away” effect of horseradish, the impossibility of eating hot peppers. Now none of those are near so sharp in taste and I can chomp contentedly on jalapeno peppers.

I remember my grandfather saying, “Things just don’t taste like they used to”, and that was before the days of plastic grocery store produce. Now I am probably about the age he was then and I say, “Things just don’t taste like they used to”.

Does anyone else notice the same thing?

2. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Yup, You're getting older....LOL

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Interesting article:

http://www.purewatergazette.net/secret.htm

and this also:

http://library.thinkquest.org/3750/taste/taste.html

4. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

Obser - You don't smoke cigarettes, do you?? I'm thinking that maybe your taste buds might be deadened. :shrug:
    I love mater sandwiches and I haven't noticed a flavor difference myself...A couple of pieces of oat nut bread, a couple of very red vine-ripened tomato slices about 1/2" think, some Hellman's mayo, fresh ground salt and pepper. Man, I can make myself sick. :)

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Stop, we don't have any ripe (or hardly developed yet) around here... stop this madness immediately.

6. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Beststash, I don't smoke cigarettes but am a reformed pipe smoker who still smokes a few little cigars (gotta quit that too).

I love those mater sandwiches too -- but add a nice thick slice of onion. I don't care what kind of bread it is because that's just to hold the other stuff without getting mayo all over the self (most of the time). It pays to stay near the plate. Great summer fare.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We have some "Ulster" (They undoubtably have a real variety name) tomatoes from Ireland, and while not big are open pollinated and produce a nice 1.5 inch to 2 inch round tomato with lots of flavour!

8. iocane

iocane Active Member

The tomatoes in stores were often picked green and ripened sitting in the warehouse. They need to ripen on the vine to taste the best.

If you happen to visit oregon I can sell you some real tomatoes.

9. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Store food, YUK!
    I have some broccli that will knock you over!

10. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Try the heirloom varities Obser, MUCH better.

In fact, it's not safe to process modern varieties of tomatoes in a boiling water bath anymore unless you add acid. The heirloom varieties don't have that problem.

Glad you and the Mrs made it there safely!

11. BillyGoat

BillyGoat Well-Known Member

So many people (that buy produce in the supermarket) don't stop and think; why are the tomatoes all the same size, the same shape and all perfectly red in color?? They are picked green and in the semi truck that delivers them, right before they are delivered they are 'gased' in the truck. This ripens them rapidly. yuck!!!

I planted mostly Roma tomatoes, my gosh on just 4 plants(of the Romas) we have tomatoes running out our ears!! They are very meaty( not large). *ZEAL* sound good? LOL :p

12. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of the foods that are purchased in groc. stores are picked green and sprayed with something (sr. moment), to make the turn red... I ahve heard some people say the tomatoes were 'gassed'..

13. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I refuse to buy grocery store tomatoes. Period. I'll sometimes buy canned tomato sauces, but I am trying to cut way down on that. The only whole tomatoes that we eat are home grown or bought from local growers and home canned.

RE the smoking -- I quit 2 1/2 years ago and I cannot believe how much more sensitive my nose and tastebuds have become!

14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Let me know if you ever find a plum that has *any* taste. I've been looking for one for years. Sigh.

I've found the changes made in the varieties to be the biggest problem. For there it affects me in the garden. For example, we've got some strawberry plants that are fantastic. Hearty as all get out and scads of the most luscious fruits you ever did see. But you bite into one, and there's just no taste.

Can't fuss about all the plants though. The newer varieties of apples sure do taste good.

15. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Just picked one last night for dinner!! Fantastic aroma and flavor but the skin was really tough! Don't think it was an open pollinated though.

16. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I am waiting (not so patiently) for my first homegrown tomato sandwich of the season.......yummy!!

We have a Mennonite family here who grows hydroponic (sp) tomatoes in the winter and they have a pretty good flavor but for a tomato sandwich you've got to wait until summer and pick one fresh from your own garden-

17. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, man... this is torture... Tempting Tantalizing Tomato Torture...

If you want a paste tomato with some real flavor, try Rosalie's Large Paste. Oh, my, oh, my!!!

http://underwoodgardens.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/989

As for things not tasting the way they used to, yeah, I've noticed that. I think it's a combination of aging tastebuds, chemicals in the environment, and (for me) being too busy to STOP and TASTE things. Sometimes, I bolt down food and only stop eating because the food is gone. "Did I eat that?"

Talk about senior moments! Or being just too darned busy. Or both. :shrug:

Pony!

18. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

The best tasting tomatoes I have ever grown are my early goliath tomatoes from my greenhouse this year. I incorporated a lot of chicken manure into the soil prior to planting and have only sprayed with a copper based fungicide weekly to stop blights and fungus. They have ab----ely been the best I have grown in more than 25 years of gardening.

19. Sassafrassa

Sassafrassa WorkerBee

Oh, my god. Stop. Torturing. Me. :p

I CANNOT WAIT for a fresh tomato sandwich.
    Add a bit of basil and fresh mozarella cheese, and you have my second favorite sandwich in the world.

20. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I had my first homegrown tomato BLT sandwhich last week. YUM!!!! The cherry toms have been producing like gangbusters, but I managed to beat the squirrel to one of my full size toms and I love the first BLT of the season.

Nikki