Time from farrow to finish?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Paul O, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

I’m doing the numbers for my upcoming pig enterprise and I need to know how long it takes from farrow to finish. I used one source, which details the weight gain per day, feed requirements per day and total feed. I derived the following from that.
    Final Weight 220#
    Grain consumed 590#
    Days to finish 77

The figures for grain consumption seem to be reasonable but 77 days from birth to market seems short. I’m out of town on business so I don’t have access to my reference material. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Thanks
    Paul

2. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

We usually run ours to about 6 months. I don't know about your area, but here in Ohio, they are wanting hogs around 250 - 270+. That has raised a lot in the last few years. The premiums are paid on a backfat test that is good. You have to look to find a stockyard doing this but it is worth it.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

With good timing a sow can farrow twice in a year. Here first litter should be ready to go to market as the sow is farrowing the second litter. A 50 lb feeder pigs should consume 10 bushel of corn and 150 lbs of supplement and weigh 220 to 240lbs in 115 days.

4. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

I think I found the problem with my info. The info on the internet probably contained a typo and they meant grain instead of gain.
    If I assume they meant grain consumed versus weight gained, the time comes out to be 151.5 days or about 5 months. This seems much more reasonable.
    I also assume that since my operation is going to be more of a homestead vs factory hog farm, 6 months would be a good estimate, which is in line with the replies so far.
    Thanks,
    Paul

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

for potbellies it's more like 9 months, I traded slower growth for pasturing

6. craisbeck

craisbeck "Simple Life"

agmantoo, What kind of supplement do you use to mix with the corn. I currently use a 20% pig and sow from southern states mixed 50/50 with ground corn, however am always open to saving some money. I would like a real good recipe feed if anyone ever comes across one.