The New Pioneer Magazine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Navotifarm, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Navotifarm

Navotifarm Well-Known Member

Today I went to Barnes and Noble to spend several hours which is what I do when life gets too overwhelming for me. Reading is a mental emotional poultice for me. I was surprised and interested to see a new magazine as titled above. $9.95! It has a LOT of very good topics. I was especially interested in the articles on knives and machetes but there. Were some about a bug-out bag and others which were so interesting I almost broke down and bought the magazine. The appearance is poor. It's the most low grade paper I have ever seen any publication printed on. Layiout is legible but mediocre. Anyway, check it out. Whoever published the magazine worked real hard to come up with useful topics. It's written simply, not all syrupy like - well, I better not say. Don't want to demean other publications!
    They also had a copy of "Possum Living." I read that about 40 years ago. It had a really BIG effect on my thinking and choices so I was real glad to see it back in print with a chapter in the back written by the same person only older, married, a parent!

2. farmmom

farmmom Well-Known Member

I picked one of these up at Walmart. I agree! It's an awesome magazine with piles of info.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Sounds like what Mother Earth News *used* to be.

4. jnh

jnh Well-Known Member

it is edited by the late mel tappon's wife

5. PrettyPaisley

PrettyPaisley Well-Known Member

I saw that magazine today, too! I was looking for the recent issue of Mary Jane's Farm and picked up a copy of it to flip through. I admit I put it back because of the price and because of how "unfluffy" it was. I guess I should go back and get it.

6. TJN66

TJN66 Canning Crazy Supporter

Ugh...that much for a magazine. Was there an insert in it to get it cheaper?

7. Typent

Typent Member

It is $9.95, but I also wanted to point out it's only an annual magazine. We most likely won't see the next issue for quite awhile.

8. Fae

Fae Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw it at walmart also and really was not to impressed with it especially at nearly $10. I did not notice it was an annual magazine just that it was the premier issue. I will look again at it.

9. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Will check it out myself. Like I need to have another magazine to read....

10. dixienc

dixienc Rebelicious

I bought it last weekend. It's a great magazine! Lot's of helpful advice, and well worth the price.

11. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

interesting discussion i'll look for it

12. MushCreek

MushCreek Well-Known Member

I've seen it, too, but draw the line at paying $10 for a magazine. Before long, I'm sure most magazines will be $10 or more, and I'll stop buying them. There's too much info available free on-line these days.

13. Navotifarm

Navotifarm Well-Known Member

I suppose it is wicked, but I sat there in barnes and noble for about five hours, reading books and magazines. I am a kind of junkie that way so I think of it as getting my fix. I really intended to buy a copy of the ball canning book but it was almost $25! I know my old copy is around here somewhere but it's buried under the avalanche of other books.
    There is a lot of information on the internet but give me a good book any day!!! Or magazine.

14. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have that magazine. Bought it because I considered it a worthy read and wanted to have it lying around in case inspiration strikes.

15. salmonslayer

salmonslayer Well-Known Member Supporter

We got it too but didnt look at the price and almost had a stroke when it was wrung up. I enjoyed some of the articles but I thought it was kind of disjointed and I like Countryside a lot better. I doubt I would buy it again unless there was a specific article that grabbed my attention.

16. farmwoman59

farmwoman59 Well-Known Member

We really liked it - had some good info. in it.

17. mldollins

mldollins Well-Known Member

Bought it just now. Wally's magazine are 10% marked down....

Still, a little pricey....

18. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw it at Bi-Mart (a local store here in Oregon) but the $10 stopped me short of buying it.

There is another magazine "Small Farmer's Journal" but the $12 has always seemed a little steep.

19. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member