Texas Panhandle fires

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Belfrybat, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

In honour of those three brave young folks who died attempting to get their cattle to safety. Beside a total of five human deaths in the panhandle, it is estimated that over 5000 head of cattle were killed along with a huge number of wildlife. So tragic.

The Loss

He turned to her upon finding them, the loss had stricken his heart,
    She who is always his steady rock, her touch a sweet solace to impart.

Three young beautiful cowboy lives, snuffed out by a wild prairie fire,
    She felt his soundless body shuddering, saw no tears for he was no crier.

Only doing what true cowboys do, protecting those given to their care,
    Giving their all for all the animals they love, trying to get them out of there.

Now a nurse, a cowboy, and a rancher, have passed through another gate,
    They've entered God's heavenly portals, there with Him for us they will wait.

Joined by their friends from the Rainbow Bridge, dogs, cats, cows, horses and all,
    All God's critters that had shared their life, before they answered God's Heavenly Call.

His heart hurts for each family member, for the loss and sorrow they share,
    A future without their cherished loved ones, the loss of the ones no longer there.

The loss of three sweet natured servants, servants to God, family, beasts, and man,
    Prime examples we all should aspire to, the fulfillment of God's Master Plan.

© Copyright 03/08/2017 Andy G. Carr
    Picture by unknown artist.
    Sharing & copying on Facebook is appreciated.

Panhandle fire.jpg

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............The winds simply are too strong , change direction at will and no one can get out of their path without the assistance of a vehicle ! Unless a crew of cowboys had immediate access to a river or lake to heard the cattle into , they have no chance of surviving . , fordy

MoBookworm1957 likes this.

3. Belfrybat

Yes, you are right. The three that died were attempting to move their cattle to safety and even on horseback, were overtaken. So sad. I'm in Abilene, and IH20 is full of hay trucks heading for the Panhandle right now.

4. Heritagefarm

Heritagefarm Pro-facter Supporter

So sad! This is definitely a tragedy, but in times like this, we see the best of humanity as we learn to work together a little better.

MoBookworm1957 and Belfrybat like this.
  5. Allen W

Allen W Well-Known Member

Terrible tragedy, I've heard of the fire was moving at 40 to 50+mph at times.

With the death losses I'm hearing heavy equipment to dig burial pits may be needed more then hay.

6. MO_cows

MO_cows I calls em like I sees em

Very tragic. Bad enough to lose the stock, but the loss of human lives makes it tragic.

Dry conditions, strong winds, miles of plains with no water sources or fireproof shelter, it would be next to impossible to get away from the fire.

7. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

So sorry for the tragedy, prayers going out to all involved. Prayers for the children,parents of those lossed.

Belfrybat and fordy like this.
  8. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

Several groups of semi trailers, loaded with hay are delivering feed to Texas, from Michigan.

MoBookworm1957 and fordy like this.
  9. Belfrybat

Yes, a lot of hay is coming in. I saw a semi at the truck stop over the weekend hauling fencing materials -- guy told me they were donations from East Texas. There's also a Go-Fund me page to get heifers to the panhandle. Either donate the heifer or $$ to buy and transport them. Lots of folks are helping. But it is still a tragedy beyond belief, both here and in Oklahoma and Kansas.