tattoo equipment?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by emanuelcs34, Jan 29, 2010.

1. emanuelcs34

emanuelcs34 Well-Known Member

This will be my first year of registered goats; I have Nigerian Dwarf goats that I am going to need to tattoo.
    Which tattoo kit do you recommend? I have been looking and am really confused different sizes, and would you get the extra set of numbers and letters?
    Any help would be appreciated; Thanks so much.

2. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis A & N Lazy Pond Farm Supporter

I would get the smaller one and yes get the extra set of numbers, you most likely will not need the extra letters. Our herd prefix is ANLPF so I ordered those letters only and have a punch just to hold them. The other one holds the year letter and the number for the goat. Sure makes it easier having 2 if you have a lot of goats to do each year. If you are only going to have one or two it may not be worth the extra money.

3. emanuelcs34

I only have the 2 does that are pg. and might keep a few more, but not many. I mainly have them for milk but DH is excited to show this year. Babies start coming around valentines day, so I need to get everything prepared.
    Thanks for your help.

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I also have two sets of tattoo pliers and an extra set of numbers.

One set keeps the herd name code all the time.

The other one gets the year letter and the numbers.

It's just less complicated to have two.

5. Jay27

Jay27 Renegade North Nigerians

I also have Nigerian Dwarfs. This is what I have:

http://www.hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2916&cat=50&page=1

MADE IN THE USA!

It comes with numbers. You have to order the letters. Make sure you order the 5/16" letters.

I prefere green ink in a tube over the black in a jar. I make an unholy mess with the jar ink... it is thinner in consistency.

ETA:
    The smaller tool and letters are easier with the smaller ears. Even then, I wait until they are 6 months or so to tattoo. I was worried the smaller characters would be harder to read... 3/8 or 5/16, they are BOTH hard to read after a few years!

When you get to tattooing, secure their head as much as possible and squeeze so the pins go clear-through the ear. It is a pain removing the tool from their ear, which is why you really want to secure their head, but that is the only way I've had a tattoo last the life of the goat. I put ink on the ear, ink on the pins, and then rub the tattooed ear with an ink covered toothbrush.

For future reference, DO NOT re-tattoo an animal without contacting the ADGA... you CAN do it, but you need to notify them. An undocumented re-tattoo is a quick way to get DQed at a show.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  6. emanuelcs34

thanks I appreciate it

7. deineria

deineria Well-Known Member

8. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I have the larger ear tattoo for my miniatures and full size dairies. I also have the smaller for my rabbits. I prefer the black roll on ink with the thinner consistency for the rabbits. I don't like the paste ink for several reasons - it's stays on FOREVER, and it is harder to rub into the holes, despite using q-tips, fingers, or toothbrushes. I think I'm going to look for a roll on green ink that is more liquid like the roll on black.

I use green ink on dark skinned goats/rabbits, and black ink on light skinned goats/rabbits.

9. emanuelcs34