Switch from raw to kibble

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by tree-farmer, Jan 6, 2017.

1. tree-farmer

tree-farmer Well-Known Member

So we've fed our dogs raw but over the holidays we weren't able to get any and bought a couple of bags of kibble for them. All 3 of them started to get a large amount of gunk in their eyes, like sleep in their eyes. I could clean them up every hour and they'd just get more. After a couple of days back on the raw food, they're back to normal.

Know what causes this? Is it just some kind of allergy? We had been considering switching to kibble to save money but they just seem so much healthier on raw so I don't think we can bring ourselves to do it.

2. Pyrpup2016

Pyrpup2016 Well-Known Member

Sounds like some sort of allergy - a lot depends on what kibble you go to - there are some very good (not inexpensive) ones that are meat based, no grain. I use Canidae - have for over 20 years, but it's not the only one. I feed that with some meat/bones every meal, and have raised many pups on it with no problems. Check the list of ingredients. You might also check out the Whole Dog magazine, which tests all available dog foods (takes no advertising) and you can compare the various ones.

bluemoonluck and tree-farmer like this.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I’ve fed raw for fifteen years. Sometimes I’ve fed kibble, like when moving. Taste of the Wild is a top 20 dog food, but I notice even with that the dogs do better on raw. If you want to try out kibble, get a top grade www.dogfoodanalysis.com reviews hundreds of foods.

What you save on dog food you will spend on the vet.

4. tree-farmer

tree-farmer Well-Known Member

I used to feed Acana or Now before switching to raw. I'm not sure what we were feeding that week after Christmas, my wife picked it out and said the ingredient list looked good. They're back on raw now though, probably to stay.
    I'm not sure if I'm just imagining things but their coats seem to look better than last week. Hard to believe one week away from raw would make a noticeable difference like that.

A couple days ago my wife saw a door crasher sale at the grocery store for ground berf and pork, and bought the whole display. I was in there yesterday and handwritten on the sign was Limit 4, so I had a laugh and bought 4.

We'll do things like that, try to get an extra deer or two and maybe raise rabbits to keep things affordable.

Maura likes this.
  5. bluemoonluck

bluemoonluck Crazy Dog Lady Supporter

Yeah, depends on the food. Believe it or not, Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon formula is a good one - grain free, no chicken, no corn, no soy.....it's a good one for dogs with food allergies and not outrageously expensive. It's what I feed my dogs :yes:

Acer Rubrum likes this.