stiff towels from hanging to dry

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Organizing' started by Heather S, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Heather S

Heather S Member

Anyone know of a way to prevent the stiffness in towels from hang drying. Perhaps a different type of fabric that works well and is soft after hang drying. Thanks.

2. LonelyNorthwind

LonelyNorthwind Well-Known Member Supporter

You might try getting used to air-dried towels. I love my stiff towels! In fact I don't use my dryer anymore at all, just drying racks. Those stiff towels that haven't been coated with chemicals feel so good to rub against my skin and they soak the water right up. Towels from a dryer with fabric softener seem to slide right over your skin without picking up the water.

3. KnowOneSpecial

KnowOneSpecial Well-Known Member

i'm with Gramma on this one. I LOVE a good scratchy towel! I used to have a line where we used to live, but there's not a good place to have one here. Between the smell and how good the towel felt-heaven!

But if you want to soften them up, put a little vinegar in the rinse and then give them a good snap before and after you hang them up.

randysdad likes this.
  4. unregistered65598

unregistered65598 Guest

Ok I have so been meaning to ask this....I have read several post to use vinegar in the rinse cycle...HMMMMMM Doesn't your clothes smell like it then???? That would so gross me out! I really don't want to smell sour all day.

5. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Vinegar done in the wash cycle will help and no smell at all... I also LOVE the stiff towels..and oh my --SHEETS.. crisp, fresh and stiff... OH I can't wait until it's a tiny bit warmer so my stuff can go on the line all the time..

Declan likes this.
  6. Heather S

Heather S Member

Ok I'll try the snapping and vinegar. The reason I ask is because infants and childrens skin doesn't do as well with stiff crunchy towels. I can't image drying a newborn with that stiff towel. Anyone else use other fabrics besides traditional cotton towels?

7. Nico DeMouse

Nico DeMouse Well-Known Member

I had some of those infant hooded towels that were made out of a jersey/terry sort of weave. They dried less crunchy than regular towels.

The vinegar really does help, though.

But I often save up a washer load of large linens (queen sheets mostly) that are too big for me to line dry. I dry indoors in my basement. Then I do a load every week or two of things that I intend to dry in the dryer. I figure that cutting down to one load every week or two from 4-6 loads a week in the dryer is still a big improvement.

But, once the warmer weather is here, I'd like to get an outdoor clothesline set up so I can do sheets and towels outside.

8. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

If you do have an electric dryer you can pop them in to finish them up just before they are fully dry and they will be fluffy...
    But personally I'm in the stiff towels being good camp too. :)

Acer Rubrum and randysdad like this.
  9. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

This Gramma LOVES the line dried STIFF towels, too!

But I do keep 2 or 3 soft ones (dried in the dryer) for the wee bitty grandbabies~~~

10. Sonshine

Sonshine Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard that if you cut down on the amount of laundry detergent you use that they won't be as stiff. The recommended amount is not neccessary to get them clean. I haven't dried on a line in years though, so not sure if it's true or not. My SIL does though and she's the one that told me.

Acer Rubrum likes this.
  11. Texasdirtdigger

Texasdirtdigger Texasdirtdigger Supporter

It is all in how well the soap gets rinsed out. The Vinegar will break the tinsel strength on the oil in the soap and they will be far softer. More than one clear water rinse may be required. Also, tweak back the amount of soap you are useing. Good luck!!

Acer Rubrum likes this.
  12. Our Little Farm

Our Little Farm Well-Known Member Supporter

First of all reduce the amount of soap you use in your machine. It helps.
    When I get my towels out of my washing machine I shake them hard and then hang them, and then snap them as mentioned above before I fold them. I use no softener. I too like towels dried like this, they dry your body better than soft towels somehow!

All our clothes are a little 'harder' than dryer clothes, but you really get used to it. :)

13. Woodpecker

Woodpecker In Remembrance

What does the snapping do? I too love line dried clothes and towels.

14. Our Little Farm

Our Little Farm Well-Known Member Supporter

it loosens all the fibers and makes it softer. Less starchy.

OnlyMe likes this.
  15. grammea

grammea Member

Thanks Our Little Farm!
    I knew what it did but for the life of me I couldn't explain it!!!LOL!!!
    God bless,
    Helen(grammea)

16. Woodpecker

Woodpecker In Remembrance

Thanks after I postedd I figured it was something like that

17. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I use vinegar in the rinse cycle, and our clothes are NOT sour smelling!! I use about ½ cup, and it's a large-tub washer. They just smell clean and fresh, not like vinegar at all.

18. Fae

Fae Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in the stiff line-dried towel camp also. I use 1/2 cup vinegar in the rinse and you do not smell the vinegar. I also give those wet towels a good snap as I am hanging them. I just love drying off with a rough towel. It is very invigorating.

19. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Well-Known Member

Ok... I'll be the one to admit it! While I love line drying clothes and I agree that they smell so god and fresh when I use vinegar instead of fabric softener, I HATE cruchy towels!!! I also HATE lint on my clothing!!!

So, I do throw each load of clothes in the dryer for 5 minutes or so to soften them up and to remove lint.

20. Mallard Farm

Mallard Farm Active Member

I bought micro fiber bath towels from Bed Bath and Beyond and love them. They are never stiff, always soft and dry in a very short time.

backwoods likes this.