Staying hydrated while throwing up?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Nette, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, gross subject, I know. But all these sickness threads reminded me of a question I had a few weeks ago when I had some version of the flu. It hit me suddenly--fever, sneezing, runny nose, nausea. I couldn't possibly eat, but really wanted something to drink, and nothing would stay down. When you're in that predicament, should you keep trying to drink something in hopes of a little hydration, even though you throw everything back up? I was finally able to keep down ice chips and Gatorade, but my kidney area was hurting, and I know that's not good. What should you do???

2. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm going through a mild form of that now. I have a plastic cup of icewater with a straw in it and I drink as I read here on the computer. I try not to think too much about being sick at my stomach. So far, the water is staying down. Something about drinking through a straw makes me feel like a kid again. :)

3. Arkansasfarmgal

Arkansasfarmgal Well-Known Member

The best thing I have found is Gatorade or Powerade. The electrolytes are what keeps dehydration at bay. If you just sip a little at a time it's easier to keep down. When my boys were little I would give them Pedialyte.

4. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

I've found it almost impossible to stay hydrated while throwing up.

It's best to try before or after.

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature why hide it?

:eek: :D [prophead]

6. Common Tator

Common Tator Uber Tuber

I had hyper emesis when I was pregnant. The "morning sickness" jsut took control and I threw up many times every day. I couldn't keep anything down, not even water. The medications they tried didn't work. I had to go to the hospital and have IV's to get me hydrated.

7. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    gatorade etc has a lot of sugar and when you dump a lot of sugar in your stomach it can make you nauseus. SIP, and personally I stick with water or peppermint tea

8. Minelson

Minelson Well-Known Member

mix 1/2 Powerade with 1/2 plain water and sip no more than a tablespoon at a time. Too much salt in these drinks keep you thirsty....that is why you cut the plain water in so you can get the electrolytes without all the salt.

9. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

i use the pedialyte ice pops! you have to eat them slowly because they are so cold, but you get the electrolytes!

10. NEfarmgirl

NEfarmgirl Well-Known Member

This is the advice of my doc when I had a nasty stomach bug. He also suggested Dramamine (carsickness pill) to help calm the stomach too. Another thing I have tried is dried blueberries for nausea--it has to be dried ones not fresh.

11. Terri

Terri Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Drink something with either sugar in it or salt in it: both are electrolites. In other words, either sprite or gatorade or???????

If you are vomiting like that, you need all of the electrolites you can get!

12. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

What I tell folks with kids- nothing for 1/2 -1 hr after vomiting. Then 1 tsp, in 5-15 min if it stays down 1 tbsp, repeat, and go up on amount in time.

If you are not peeing and can't keep liquids down time for professional help. Most importantly for children or pregnants.

13. cathryn

cathryn Well-Known Member

Good advice, but with my second pregnancy from 1 week on I don't think I went a whole hour without throwing up. No better pregnancy test for me than my stomach!

The best thing I did was to sip liquids constantly (I did better with flavored things-not plain water). I also tried to eat solids with a lot of liquid in them such as fruit, frozen juices and slushies, and jello.

Peace-Cathryn

14. Terri

Not good advice at all! You are more likely to keep something down shortly after you vomit: be guided by the patient!

Wind In Her Hair has it right: sip-sip-sip. Never too much at one time will give you a chance to keep down some electrolytes.

15. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Terri, Do you know Jenn is a doc?
    It is very good advice.
    Also, if you can get some emetrol that works. Sometimes sips of coke works. Emetrol is basically coke syrup.

Patty

16. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

That's what I was getting ready to say, but wasn't 100% sure if my memory was correct. :shrug:

17. Terri

No, I did not! I am only a lowly nurse!

I think that I will not convince Jen, in that case. I WILL refer her to the lady who said she threw up every half hour to an hour while pregnant: I have been that nauseated also. You could have set a CLOCK by me, LOL!

18. unregistered29228

unregistered29228 Guest

My MIL told me years ago that taking small sips of dissolved jello water coats the stomach and reduces the irritation and nausea. I've done that a few times with sick kids and it did seem to help. But make sure it's a nice light color because red jello barfed on the carpet is a bad thing.

19. Jenn

Well I don't know how to fix nausea that bad- I send them into the hospital for the nurses to fix usually with iv fluids but also to be on hand to change strategy quick if oral hydration doesn't work. ESPECIALLY if pregnant- getting dehydrated if pregnant is dangerous for the baby so don't let it go on long at all- or if a child. They have less reserves than us.

If sipping all the time keeps you peeing copiously guess it works, if it all comes back up quick enough you're barely peeing or peeing something the color of iced tea get professional help especially if pregnant or a child and even us grownups if it's gone on for longer than several hours and not letting up.

20. Jenn

Also if someone ends up in the ER or Dr's office red barf or diarrhea gets us scared and doing tests and things that aren't necessary if it's just red koolaid, jello, or in one case I know of sloe gin.