Stainless Pots on My Wood Stove?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Horse Fork Farm, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Horse Fork Farm

Horse Fork Farm Well-Known Member

My Kitchen Queen is going pretty good this morning, Can I use my stainless steel bean pot on this stove or will it get too hot and ruin it? I'm showing right under 500 degrees. So far I've only used my cast iron on it but my big bean pot is stainless. What do you guys say???

2. PFS farmer

PFS farmer Well-Known Member

I think 500 degrees will warp it.

3. meanwhile

meanwhile Well-Known Member Supporter

I would not use it at 500 degrees. Get a trivet or double fold a piece of foil and set the pan on it but not till it cools off. A friend of mine sets a piece of fireclay tile on top of her wood stove and sets pots on top of it.

kens and Goldie like this.
  4. Horse Fork Farm

Horse Fork Farm Well-Known Member

5. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Well-Known Member

Cast iron heat diffuser:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-282095/?affsrcid=Aff0001&mr:trackingCode=4E62AEDC-D781-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&origin=pla&mr:filter=24156051701&mr:adType=pla&mr:keyword={keyword}&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:ad=13512388421

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

If you have liquid in the pot it will not warp. In fact, the pot will never get above 212ºF no matter what the temp of the stove is. I am sure that the flames on a typical gas stove are way over 600ºF and they will not warp your pot (unless you evaporate all of the moisture out whatever is inside the pot).

Do you want to test my advice? Do this, make a campfire complete with flames. Fill a paper cup full of water and place it over the flames and leave it there. The cup will not burn until the water has evaporated out of it. Why? Because the temp of the paper is only 212ºF which is well below its flammable point.

7. redwall

redwall Brian w

you can put steal, aluminum, and cardboard paper pots the wood stove and as long as its wet it will not burn or warp. plastic will. melt no mater what. did it for five years.
    putting it on a brick or fire tile will even out the heat and make it easer to cook if you are using pine or scrap. my fire was heated by 12 juvenile clients so it was hard keeping the fire up with oak and good wood

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  8. greg_n_ga

greg_n_ga Well-Known Member

Might call it a trivet !!! I found some of the eye covers,(larger ones) that goes on a gas stove and put them under my pots on the heater.

9. LadyJane

LadyJane Well-Known Member

I have always used our Farberware stainless pans on our wood cookstove and have never had a problem.

10. CIW

CIW Well-Known Member

I don't beleive that you would have problems with stainless steel pots on your stove. But if you are concerned or you have it stoked exceptionally high, you could take some steel banding material, bend it back and forth several times. Set that under your pan or pot. It will raise you off the surface just enough to lessin the temperature. The wider the banding material the lower the temp. will be.
    We use a piece that is 1" wide on top of the wood stove when we want to keep a stew simmering on those cold winter days.

11. badlander

badlander Well-Known Member

Don't laugh guys but I discovered that a new horseshoe can be used as a fast makeshift trivet on a wood stove to keep a pot from contacting the stove surface. The horseshoe conducts enough heat to keep the contents of the pot cooking.

Of course you want to make sure the horse isn't attached to it at the time.:teehee:

12. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

check all over the stove with a thermometer and try trivits ..as mentioned above..you should find a cooler spot away from the fire..

13. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

An old Boy Scout demonstration--boiling an egg in a paper cup over a candle......BUT, that may have been before wax paper cups were made.....

However, do you want a full rolling boil, or a simmer all day? For a simmer, as in soup or stock, I think a trivet would help.

geo

14. Cabin Fever

You better watch it with those compliments or people might start to think that you have the hots for me! :eek:

Wind in Her Hair likes this.
  15. Cabin Fever

Who you calling an "old Boy Scout!"

16. ChristieAcres

ChristieAcres Well-Known Member Supporter

You can use a trivet or rack to hike up your pot, which lowers the temp. When I cook on our wood stove, I use iron cookware and also stainless steel, use trivets to simmer, rather than adjusting the inflow valve. It is convenient to cook multiple things at once.

17. Cabin Fever

Question for the OP.....

I re-read your post. Were you concerned about ruining your beans on the hot stove or ruining your stainless steel pot? It seems like some members are addressing the first concern while others are addressing the second. :shrug:

18. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Now I find out I had to take the shoes off the horse first. :doh:

Many common house hold items will work". A cooloing rack was mentioned, a horse shoes Minus the Hourse; bottle caps with the seal removed; various sizes of bolts and nuts; stones from an area away from water; NOTE: River stones are known to explode. Trivets were used for centuries and the old ones bring a good price; a piece of chain; pieces of rebar; pieces of fire brick; bent coat hangers; copper pipe fittings and the list goes on... make sure whatever you use the pot will remain stable and not roll off or tip sideways. Best done first with a pot of cold water to make sure dinner doesn't go on the floor and no one gets burned! :eek:

Yeah, I am an old scout to and still am a member after 68 years on this earth. :bouncy:

19. geo in mi

Okay, an old man Scout........:)

geo

20. geo in mi

But the question remains: Does a skillet at 212 degrees hurt any more than a cold one when wielded by the angry Mrs.?

geo