smaller breeds for meat

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by -, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Guest

i raise dutch for meat. i do not care iif they yeild a smaller carcass, i care about the dress out percentage. i belive that in butching anything, you should avoid waist. that's why i got the smaller dutch than the bigger nz because they had the lowest wast in their dressout percentage i have ever seen. but everytime i point this out some one gets grouchy and declares smaller breeds useless. they say they don't fit the standerds for a rabbit processer. but we are homesteaders, are we not? the meat we raise is mostly for our own consumption.

rabbitgeek likes this.
  2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

As a homestseader and raising for your own use any rabbit will work and if you are happy with the dutch rabbits great.

That being said. It will take more food and longer growth times to raise a dutch to butchering size then a good breed of Nz or Cals. I good NZ will reach 5 lbs in 10 weeks and dress out at 3+ lbs.

How long does it take you to raise a dutch to the same size?

I do agree about waste and if you have chickens they will happily consume the intestines and stomach so we have very little waste when processing rabbits.

The feet and ears are dried and sold as doggie treats and the larger pelts are tanned.

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Raising rabbits for your own use is just fine, but please don't forget the name of this particular forum... "Raising Rabbits for Profit!" As a result, most of us on this forum raise rabbits to be marketed and not just for our own home use. The rabbit meat industry requires a larger carcass which can be raised economically, as do quite a few of the alternative markets.

Any breed of rabbit may be eaten, but the different markets tend to require specific breeds. Dutch simply would not be profitable for a producer participating in the rabbit meat industry. I'm sorry if you feel "put down" every time you bring it up, but perhaps you are simply asking for it by not understanding the purpose of this forum? We have no objection to you raising Dutch... why do you object if it just doesn't fit OUR needs?

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

arnie likes this.
  4. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

4HR,

Please see the above sticky regarding personal attacks.

This is a forum for raisng rabbits for PROFIT. All homesteaders and back yard raisers are welcome here but that is NOT the main focus of the forum.

Your last 3 messages have been deleted.

Play nice or do not play at all. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO BABYSIT!

arnie likes this.
  5. Pat Lamar

ROFL! Sorry, folks, but I feel like I got "suckered" into this one!

Now, look... I can't change what processors and markets need for their own businesses, and I'm not the one complaining about it, either! I wasn't being sarcastic, but rather... stating some facts. If you don't like those facts about the rabbit industries, then please don't complain to me because I can't do anything about it. Just because *you* aren't interested in how the rabbit meat industry works surely doesn't mean that other readers and members of this forum aren't. When I post, the information I give is for all and not just a few select people.

I've been with Tracy since before this forum was ever created. In fact, she left another forum because they *didn't* want to talk about "making a profit," and which lead to the creation and naming of this forum. Of course this isn't "my" forum, but I do understand why she created it and the purpose of it. Heaven knows... there are plenty of rabbit forums available for the pet, hobby and backyard producer folks, but darn few with any interest in making a profit!

I left, once... and Tracy asked me to come back. This is her forum, and she *IS* a "commercial" producer. There is no reason why "commercial" and "home use" can't co-exist alongside of each other, but one will definitely need to be more tolerant when not everyone sees things the same way, eh? You asked a question and got answers. Sorry they weren't the answers you were hoping for. Try reading my posts with a kinder tone, please.

Pat Lamar

6. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Well said Pat.

And you darn well better not leave!!! You are to much of an asset to every one here that is interested in what this forum is about and why it was created.

7. 4-h'er

4-h'er Member

ok, i'll own up to this one. i'm sorry for being so rude. i was just having a bad day and i took it out on you pat.please forgive me. i realy do respect your opinon on things.

arnie likes this.
  8. Pat Lamar

Aaaahhhh... you say you were having a "bad HARE day?" LOL
    We're all entitled to a few of those from time to time. :D Don't even worry about it... you are forgiven. :)

Pat Lamar

9. 4-h'er

4-h'er Member

10. gefozarks

gefozarks Well-Known Member

I think to that even if one is raising only for thier own use it is important to keep track of expenses as a homesteader it is important to me to know that I am raising the products for my own use in a way to make them as good and as inexpensive as I can. Another thought to for those raising for thier own use is to check on what the market is where you are at a if you have a surplus over what you can use for your own table you may want to sell the excess. To do that you have to have what your area will buy. If you are happy with Dutch for your own use that is great and part of homesteading IMHO is to do things in your own way.

11. Kentr

Kentr Active Member

I am just starting our new rabbitry and already have plans to sell dried ears and feet as doggie treats (mainly to family members)... Do you use a dehydrator or bake in the oven? Any suggestions or tips are much appreciated! :help:

MeanestMommy likes this.
  12. tentance

tentance Irish Hurricane Barbie

i often wonder if crossing my NZ with a superior specimen of a smaller breed might not make them even more prolific meat producers. instead, i am just going to learn more about guinea pigs.

13. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

We have used crosses for meat production as well as pure bred Cals - the crosses (Giant Chins to Cal) grew bigger, faster with more meat but the Cals just barely edged them out on how much food was eaten with in the same time frame. We do eat our BUD and BUB Mini Rexes but they take longer to get to eating size and require 2 of them to feed our family of 4 one meal. Dutch are known to be outstanding HOME meat producers but they just don't work for commercial purposes which really have the whole process down to a science!!

14. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

This thread is ten years old, and Tracy is no longer the forum moderator. She was a very efficient businesswoman who used every part of the rabbit that she could. I don't know of anyone esle here who dried ears for dogs treats, but there may be. You may want to start a new thread, someone might have some ideas for you.

Kentr likes this.