Should I try to pasture my pigs on this property

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Jhammett, Apr 19, 2017 at 3:03 PM.

1. Jhammett

Jhammett Well-Known Member

This is my place in Kansas. I keep hearing about pasture pigs. and pigs kept in by just an electric wire. The red square is my current pen location, 16x32 pen for 8 pigs. I raise 10 at the most. can i successfully keep pigs in the larger section with just a few strands of wire? Is it reasonable or responsible to try in this location, highway so close and a farmers wheat field on the other side. The whole place is 2.9 acres I am not sure what the area in the black outline I would use is, your guess is as good as mine. There is already a chain link fence behind the run of cedar trees by the highway but I don't think that's going to slow pigs down.

home.jpg

2. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

You have a lot to consider.

While I do not pasture pigs, it seems common that all property line fences are built a lot stronger that cross fences and anything near a highway or a crop better be really strong. A strand of electric might keep some pigs most of the time, but you are asking about tragedy if they get out.
    It will also depend on how lush you can keep their pasture. Hungry animals always pressure fences.

Now you said you are hearing about pasture pigs, but is it something you want to do and do you know why you'd want to do it? What's your goal? Is this pasture well seeded to clover, alfalfa, you get plenty of rain through the summer and you will add root crops, grain crops and expect to add a mineral mix and a high protein supplement?

3. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

With that location I would suggest both physical and electric fencing combined. You do not want your pigs on the highway or in the wheat field. Here is what I consider pig proof fencing. For a small area like that it is very affordable:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2015/11/17/pig-proof-fence/

That combines high tensile wires supporting the netting fence with electrified high tensile wires which stop pigs from going over. An hot wire can be done on the bottom inside offset to stop pigs from rooting about 10" up and on the outside offset to stop predators if that were needed.

Once you have a strong perimeter up then you can start dividing it into paddocks as you have the time and money. Aim for four paddocks at minimum and ideally more like ten. Here is more about a small rotational grazing system:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2013/09/25/south-weaner-paddock/

Both articles have additional links. Also see this article in the super-sticky at the top of the HT-Pigs forum:

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/pasturing-planting-rotational-grazing.512753/

You'll also need to plant up the area. Soft grasses, alfalfa, clovers, amaranth, brassicas, millets, chicory are all good things I use. I seed with the mob, the storm and the frost. See here:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2010/09/15/frost-seeding/

-Walter

Jamie Sadler likes this.
  4. Jhammett

Thanks Walter that's what I was looking for

5. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

If you want to find the area of that field, see if your state has a GIS system with measuring tools. If not, just use Alabama's. :) Go to alabamagis.com and pick a random county with free access. Once the map comes up, zoom out a little bit and then drag the map up to Kansas. Zoom in on your area and then go up to Basemaps and load up Google or Bing maps. That should let you see your property. Then go up to the Measure Tools and you can use that to measure your property. It works pretty good. Yep, I can see Hwy 96 in Haven, KS on there.

6. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

Hey, I found your place on there! LOL Looks like that field is about .7 acres.

7. highlands

That's big enough to rotationally graze a few pigs.

8. Jhammett

So what would you call a few? I have 8 in a pen now

9. highlands

If figure that with good managed rotational grazing techniques on good pasture with good pastured pig genetics I can easily graze ten pigs per acre so that would mean seven, maybe eight, pigs on that area. BUT, note all those qualifiers. The pigs can help you work at improving the soil, planting, etc - once you have the many paddock divisions so that the plants have time to grow and once you have learned good rotational grazing management. Ease into it. Doing your eight pigs now with mostly supplemented diet, a good perimeter fence and then as you have time and money subdividing the area into grazing paddocks will get you started. Then as your forages get established you'll be able to fade the commercial grain back later and later in the day. All those factors are important. Leaving it as one big area will just make for a large mud lot and degrade the soil in time.

-Walter

10. Jhammett

I see, I well raise 8- 10 Pigs a year have them for 100 days and they are gone. May not be worth the effort or money maybe ill just stick to my pen

11. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

Give me your address, or at least your zip code and I can map your acreage.