Shelf life of lye?

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by FrontPorch, Dec 6, 2009.

1. FrontPorch

FrontPorch Well-Known Member

Are you putting back lye to make soap with in your preps? Anybody know what the shelf life is? I've been wanting to make my own soap for years and I'm finally going to try it this month.

2. Trisha in WA

Trisha in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it really depends on how well it is stored. If you keep it completely dry, it should last a VERY long time.
    Once you get the hang of making soap, you could try making your own lye too, though I would only want to have to do that in a SHTF situation since it is a touchy material.

3. NCLee

NCLee Well-Known Member

4. ACountryMomma

ACountryMomma Well-Known Member

great link Lee! I'm going to have to print some of that info out for future reference.

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Lye is strongly hygroscopic so you'd want to keep it tightly sealed in something waterproof. Otherwise it's shelf life is indefinite.

.....Alan.

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

If it's not tightly closed, it will grow into a monstrous looking white blob, destroying anything it touches... Don't ask me how I know this...:D

7. Jean in Virginia

Jean in Virginia Well-Known Member

When I was making soap in the late 90's, I bought a 25 lb bag of lye, and filled up 1/2 gallon canning jars, using the flat lid and rings to close the jars.

I made soap recently using that old lye, and it was fine.

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I just made a big batch of soap from lye that had to be ten years old from when we put new floors in the kitchen. Had the can sealed tightly in a Ziploc freezer bag and the soap turned out fine. Now to get a new stash. DEE

9. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

Keep it totally dry and it will last indefinitely. I'm a soapmaker and I have a pretty good amount stored up but I do plan on teaching myself how to make a somewhat decent soap using the old methods (grease, ash & water). Mainly because if something DID happen, I have the equipment and whatnot to produce large quantities of soap which would be an excellent trade good once things calm down a bit. But then eventually the lye would run out - what then?