septic leach lines

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by busybee870, Aug 5, 2007.

1. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

i was told there is a new leach line system that uses styrofoam pellets in it, supposedly you dont have to do the gravel and sand and it doesnt have to be but about 8 inches underground, the pellets have something in them that boosts the activity that breaks everythig down. ever heard of such?

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I believe that MTman has this type of septic line. The lines come complete with plastic pipe in the center, styro peanuts around the pipe are held in place by netting. Just dig a level trench, lay the pipe in, cover with geotextile fabric, and backfill. I would put the system is such that the top of the peanuts is covered by at least six inches of soil. I doubt if anything is added to the peanuts to promote decomposition.

There are other types of gravel-less systems out there. Our system is called the Infiltrator. It uses half-round pipe (or chambers) that are 36" wide and five feet long instead of the traditional gravel.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

Cabin Fever is correct.
    We wanted to go with the Infiltrator but they would only sell to contractors. Here is a pic of ours at installation. No, there is nothing added to the peanuts to promote decomposition. It works on 50% evap and 50% leaching.

[​IMG]

and yes it is more then 8 in. down that wouldnt even cover the pipe

4. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

Did you hand dig that, or did you use a trencher?

5. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

Who makes it? What do they call this product? Sounds interesting.

6. busybee870

i got the brochure today from some one its called EZflow septic systems

7. foxfiredidit

foxfiredidit Well-Known Member Supporter

Check the cost. This system saves the contractor a group of money because he doesn't have to haul the tried and true method of washed gravel. Usually takes at least one good sized load of gravel for a 2 bedroom house, the contractor can haul this stuff around in a bag on the back of a pickup truck. Your county engineer can give you the details. Some like it. I would stick with the gravel unless someone told me it was superior and the cost was like half of what gravel would be.

8. busybee870

i have 4 pamplets in hand

9. busybee870

Well You Dont Use Gravel, And A Friend Of Mine Gets It For 26.00 For A 10 Foot Piece

10. busybee870

IT comes in 10 foot pieces you just screw each piece together , it bends around obstructions, says it has 5 times the flow rate of gravel, and you can arrange it differently than regular leach lines, sounds cool

11. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

a backhoe was used we didnt do it we found someone to do it complete for 1800.00 didnt pay to do it ourself

12. sheepish

sheepish Well-Known Member Supporter

To me at least, there seems to be something wrong about burying plastic in your own yard. I would rather have a system made of materials that don't permanently pollute the environment

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Sheepish, I'm sitting here wondering what your septic leach pipes are made of?

14. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

years ago they use to use orange burg i think they called it cf must remember that it broke down and crushed but these days i onyl hear of plastic