Salt/mineral block vs. loose

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Noel Goetz, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Noel Goetz

Noel Goetz Member

I'm going to try and feed my two hogs what I can wrestle up vs. bagged feed and will probably be short in the minerals dept. Do hogs take to a mineral/salt block? Is it sufficient? Thank you for your comments. Noel

2. Farmall

Farmall Active Member

check the bags and the label shouls tell if there is any salt in the feed or not. There should be. Do not make salta holics outa your pigs its bad for them. Salt pork on the outsiee, not the inside

3. Farmall

Farmall Active Member

Ive never fed salt to hogs, nor my dad, uncle, or grandad, and they all had medium sized hog operations. Ive raised hogs off and on since 69 and have never fed anything but shelled corn period. Somtimes ground corn, and alfalfa hay in a slop with water

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hogs require some salt in their diet.. I heard of a farmer who had loose salt in a trough in a boar pen. It rained in the trough, and the boar drank the brine and died.. For that reason if none other, I'd recomend a trace mineral salt block for pigs not getting a feedmill mixed ration.. Don't put it in a pan that holds water.. Unk