salsify/vegtable oyster

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shagerman, Jun 9, 2008.

1. shagerman

shagerman Well-Known Member

i am interested in finding this if anyone has some and a good recipe. hubby says he had it when his father was alive .he says its the best in the world. i have never had it, and dont know how to fix it? i can pay for it or trade for it.

2. Shawna

Shawna Well-Known Member

We are going to attempt to grow salsify this year. Actually, I was just asking about it down at the gardening forum LOL! My FIL is allergic to shellfish, and so MIL wanted to grow it so she could make *oyster stew* for him. So, we're trying it this year. Which really doesn't help you out, but if we get a good crop, I can send some your way to try!!

:D
    Shawna

3. LamiPub

LamiPub Ami

I don't have any either but was curious about it after reading in one of my garden/cooking/preserving books. I can share what the book says if you are interested.

"Use salsify raw, cooked, in soups or with meats. Place scraped, chopped salsify in cold water with lemon juice or vinegar to prevent discoloration before cooking."

"To cook salsify bring 1 inch water to a boil. Add one pound of peeled salsify and 1/2 tsp salt or to taste. Return to boil, simmer 15-20 minutes or until for tender."

Salsify Soup (Mock oyster soup)
    1 1/2 c. peeled, diced salsify
    1 1/2 c. water
    1 qt. whole milk
    1 T. butter
    salt and pepper to taste

Cook salsify in salt water until tender. Add remaining ingredients and heat. Serve w/ crackers.

Mock Oysters
    salsify, cooked
    egg
    flour or bread crumbs
    butter
    salt and pepper to taste

Roll boiled salsify in egg, dip in flour or bread crumbs, saute in butter until tender. Season to taste.

Baked Salsify
    2 c. cooked salsify
    3 c. crushed crackers
    1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    2 eggs
    3 c. milk
    2 T. butter

Layer salsify and crackers in a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle each layer of salsify with salt and pepper. End with crackers on top. Beat eggs and add milk. Pour over crackers. Dot with butter. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

4. shagerman

i*ll be dumbed . i have never in my life would have thought in a million years this would be true. im about to fall over in my chair, whoooooohooooooooo please anyone, who has this stuff, and thank you for the recipe. i will return the favor some day, for your help.

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

We'll be growing salsify again this year. Last year was a bust for most everything, but hope springs eternal.
    It takes almost a year to get a harvestable crop of it here in Western Wash. We've also grown scorzenera or black salsify. I don't think they taste anything like oysters, but that just might be me. We add them to soups and stews or steam them and serve with butter, garlic and lemon. They also good fried in butter, but then what isn't? They have a very pretty blue flower their second year.

6. shagerman

does anyone have a picture of this stuff, and they also call it goats beard is that right?

7. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

Shagerman,
    just Google it then click at the top on Images. There are lots of pictures. I use Google Images a lot,
    Happy Gardening
    Sandie OR. 5/6

8. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not had it for years. My grandparents used to grow it every year. she canned it......and then baked it.....that recipe for baked salsify sounds pretty close to what my grandmother did.

9. WeaverRose

WeaverRose Well-Known Member

They grow salsify at the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill, Harrodsburg, KY, and serve it (the baked version, yummm) in the dining room at the Trustee's House. It is delicious, I'd love to grow it but don't know a commercial source for seed or tubers or ?? to get it started.

10. Murray in ME

Murray in ME Well-Known Member

11. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I have PM-ed you.

12. shagerman

see now this is so cool learning thing that i would normally kill , and can eat it, awesome

13. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, I"m planting Salsify and scorzenera this year. I only knew to eat it raw and fry it like a french fry. These recipe ideas are WONDERFUL! How timely for me!

I bought both seeds through the

Catholic Homesteading Movement.
    If you want the address, PM me, I can look it up for you. I don't have it handy.

14. WeaverRose

WeaverRose Well-Known Member

Murray, thanks! I'll order some, this is great!

15. Murray in ME

Murray in ME Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I hope they grow well for you.

16. shagerman

i am ordering too. thank you everyone. but i probubly have it on the farm just dont know it.